Chapter 27: The Scare Demo

The three monsters burst through the secret door, Y/N holding Boo.

"Come on!" Sulley urged.

"This is crazy. They're going to kill us!" Mike yelled.

They about ran into CDA agents, but ran the other way.

"Careful. That could be contaminated," one informed the others.

"We got to get out of here now! We can start a whole new life somewhere far away. Goodbye, Monsters, Inc.! Goodbye, Mr. Waternoose!" Mike listed as he ran out the exit.

That's when Sulley remembered something.

"No, Mike, wait!" he called.

"Hey, what are you doing?" Mike asked, coming back in.

"Follow me. I have an idea," Sulley urged as he ran the other way and Y/N followed, confused.

"No! No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!" Mike disagreed, running after them.

"Sulley, what are you thinking?" Y/N wondered.

"Just trust me on this, Y/N," Sulley insisted.

She thought about it and even though Sulley has sometimes gotten them in trouble before, he was serious about this.

"Okay. I trust you," Y/N nodded.

Meanwhile, the wall in the Scare training area lifted while the compute voice said, "Simulation terminated." Bile was doing karate moves with his tongue out to the robot child.

"No, no, no, no, no. What was that? You're trying to scare the kid, not lull it to sleep," Waternoose said.

"I was going for a snake/ninja approach with a little hissing," Bile explained then hissed.

"How many times do I have to tell you? It's all about presence! About how you enter the room!" Waternoose shouted.

The door burst open and Sulley shouted, "Mr. Waternoose!"

"James! Y/N! Perfect timing," Waternoose exclaimed happily.

"No, no. Sir, you don't understand," Sulley stated.

"Ah, now, show these monsters how it's done," Waternoose replied, taking Boo from Y/N and handing her to Mike.

"What? No, no, I can't-- Sir-- sir, you have to listen to us," Y/N replied.

"Pay attention, everyone. You're about to see the best in the business. Reset the simulator," Waternoose told the new recruits, not paying attention to what the Scarers had to say.

"But-but, sir!" Sulley yelled then the light went out and the child went back in the bed.

"Good night, sweetheart," the mom's voice sounded.

"Night, Mom," the robot child's voice responded.

"Kitty! Birdie!" Boo exclaimed when Mike put her down and she ran to them.

"No, Boo, no, no!" Mike said.

"Now, give us two big, loud roars," Waternoose said.

"Mr. Waternoose, there's no time for this," Sulley stated.

"Come on. What are you two waiting for? Roar!" Waternoose urged.

"But-but-but, sir!" Y/N tried to explain.

"Roar!" Waternoose commanded.

They groaned and roared at the robot child, making it scream. But Boo was right there and her face was filled with fear. When they were done, the crowd applauded, but the couple paid attention to Boo, who ran off crying.

"Well done. Well done, you two," Waternoose commented.

"Boo," the couple called and approached the child.

"Oh gosh," Y/N realized and followed.

"All right, gentlemen, I hope you've learned a valuable lesson in Scaring today," Waternoose told the recruits as he escorted them out.

Sulley and Y/N went where Boo was, but when she saw them, she backed against the wall as far as she could to get away from them.

"Boo," Sulley said.

When they reached gently toward her, she ran away again.

"Boo?" Y/N asked gently.

They saw her run behind them as Waternoose closed the door.

"Boo, it's us," Sulley told Boo.

"Please don't be afraid," Y/N requested gently.

As she tried to get away, her hood fell off and Waternoose saw her.

Waternoose gasped and exclaimed in fear, "The child!"

"Sir, she isn't toxic. I know it sounds crazy, but trust me," Mike explained.

"Boo? No, no, no, no. It's okay. We were just--" Sulley started.

Boo then started to cry.

"No, no, no, no, no, don't be scared," Y/N said gently.

"That wasn't real. It's just a...We were just..." Sulley stated.

Then they looked at the monitors and realized they were the reason Boo was so scared. Y/N cupped her mouth as tears started to fall while Sulley looked at Boo sadly.

"Boo," Y/N sobbed.

"...and they were going to test it out on that sweet, little girl," Mike continued explaining to Waternoose.

Boo cried and ran behind one of Waternoose's legs.

"Boo," Sulley said.

"Now that we have her, they are trying to kill us. This whole thing is Randall's and G/E/N's fault," Mike said.

"Randall? G/E/N?" Waternoose questioned.

"Yes. And we can take you to their secret lab, which is right here in this factory," Mike finished.

"How could this happen? Oh, how could this happen? Does anyone else know about this?" Waternoose asked.

"No, sir," Mike answered.

"Good. This company can't afford any more bad publicity. Now, before we do anything else, let's...take care of the child," Waternoose said, picking Boo up.

Y/N cried and Sulley hugged her in response. She cried in his shoulder, both of them feeling so guilty they made Boo scared of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N You guys scared Boo! For shame! (No offense!)