Chapter 29: They Need To Get Back

They arrived at the Abominable Snowman's cave and Mike tried to dress as warmly as possible (mittens on his hands, feet, and horns) then went near a lantern to keep warm.

"'Abominable'! Can you believe that? Do I look abominable to you? Why can't they call me the Adorable Snowman or-- or the Agreeable Snowman, for crying out loud? I'm a nice guy. Snow cone?" the Abominable Snowman offered yellow snow cones.

"Yuck," Mike cringed, thinking it was pee.

"No, no, no. Don't worry-- it's lemon," the Snowman assured, Mike shook his head, then the Snowman offered the couple, "Uh, how about you, big fella? Miss? Snow cone?"

Sulley and Y/N sat at the entrance, he having an arm around her to keep her warm.

"Did you see the way she...looked at us?" Y/N cried quietly.

Sulley sighed as he answered, "It's going to be okay. We'll find a way to save her and she won't be afraid of us anymore."

"I hope you're right, Blue Boy," Y/N said and Sulley hugged her in response.

"Ah, poor guys. I understand. It ain't easy being banished. Take my buddy, Bigfoot. When he was banished he fashioned an enormous diaper out of poison ivy. Wore it on his head like a tiara. Called himself King Itchy. Ah, it won't be so hard for you guys, though, you know. I mean, how lucky can you get? Banished with your best friends," the Snowman explained.

"They are not my friends," Mike snapped.

"Oh. I just assumed you were buddies, you know when I saw you out there in the snow hugging and all that," the Snowman pointed out.

"Look at those big jerks. Ruined my life, and for what? A stupid kid! Because of you two, I am now stuck in this frozen wasteland!" Mike yelled.

"Mike, stop! You're not the only one who's suffering here in this wasteland!" Y/N retorted, making Mike scoff.

"Wasteland? I think you mean wonderland! I mean, how about all this fabulous snow, huh? Oh, and wait till you see the local village. Cutest thing in the world. I haven't even mentioned all the free yak's milk," the Snowman blabbed on.

But only one word stuck out to Y/N and Sulley.

"What-- what did you say?" Y/N asked.

"Yak's milk. Milking a yak ain't exactly a picnic. You know, once you pick the hairs out it's very nutritious," the Snowman answered.

"No, no. Something about a village. Where? Are there kids in it?" Sulley asked as the couple ran to him.

"Kids? Sure. Tough kids, sissy kids, kids who climb on rocks--" the Snowman listed.

"Where is it?!" Sulley demanded.

"It's at the bottom of the mountain. Around a three-day hike," the Snowman answered, slightly afraid.

"Oh, three days?! We need to get there now!" Sulley yelled.

Sulley pounded the wall, making some of the icicles fall. Y/N noticed one went toward some crates and supplies.

"Sulley, look," she urged.

He looked in the direction she pointed out and a smile formed on his face.

"You're a genius, babe," he stated and kissed her.

She returned it and when they parted, they got to work.

"You want to go to the village? Okay, rule number one out here. Always-- No. Never go out in a blizzard," the Snowman stated.

"We need to get to Boo," Sulley remarked.

Sulley then felt something cold hit him and they turned around. The Abominable Snowman pointed to Mike, whose mittens were off.

"Boo?! What about us?" Mike demanded.

He threw another snow cone, hitting Sulley in the shoulder, but he just went back to work while Y/N helped.

"Ever since that kid came in, you've ignored everything I've said and now look where we are!" Mike remarked, threw another, then yelled as he prepared another, "Oh, we were about to break the record, guys. We would have had it made!"

"None of that matters now," Sulley and Y/N said.

This shocked Mike, making him lower the ball, and asked, "None of it matter...Wa-wait a second. None of it matters?"

The couple sighed, knowing what they said, but kept going.

"Okay. That's...no. Good. Great. So, now the truth comes out, doesn't it?" Mike asked, dropping the snow cone.

"Oh, would you look at that? We're out of snow cones, uh...Let me...just go outside and make some more," the Snowman replied awkwardly, leaving the cave.

"Sulley, Y/N, what about everything we ever worked for? Does that matter? Huh? And what about Celia? I am never...never going to see her again. Doesn't that matter?" Mike wondered.

Y/N put the lantern on the end of their sled and they headed for the entrance as Sulley pushed it.

"What about me? I'm your pal. I'm-- I'm your best friend. Don't I matter?" Mike continued.

They stopped for a minute and looked back at Mike with a sigh.

"I'm sorry, Mike. I'm sorry we're stuck out here," Sulley apologized.

"Yeah, we didn't mean for this to happen," Y/N added.

"But Boo's in trouble. I think there might be a way to save her if we can just get down to that--" Sulley started to explain.

"'We'? Whoa, whoa, whoa. 'We'? No. There's no 'we' this time, guys. I-If-If you two want to go out there and freeze to death, you be my guests...because you two are on your own," Mike told them.

He turned his back to them. The couple knew that if they were going to save Boo, they had to do it without Mike.

"I hate to say it, Sulley, but he made his choice," Y/N replied softly and sadly.

Sulley looked at her, gently took her hands, and nodded saying, "Let's do it."

They took the sled and left the cave. Mike saw they were gone, leaving him in the dark and thinking of a way back himself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N You and Sulley are ready to save Boo, with or without Mike.