Chapter 6- Stone Cold

I can't breathe, I can't breathe, I can't breathe!

I slid down against the wall of the mucky bathroom as tears streamed down my face. I can't breathe!

Stone cold.

I yanked the earbuds out of my ears, the sudden release of pressure stinging a little bit. Music wasn't helping. I just wanted to cut. I needed to cut. But I couldn't. My blade was at home, in my room, and I was here; at school.

Pain erupted through my hands as I dug my nails in deeper. It wasn't enough.

Stone cold.

Making up my mind I grabbed my phone, feeling like I was going to pass out as darkness crept into my vision. My phone was pretty old, and a flip phone of all things to make it even better, but at least it worked.

I went through my contacts, there weren't many of them, and with little hesitation, I clicked on Demi's name. Please, please, don't be busy.

It picked up after the second ring.

"Max, aren't you at school?" Demi's voice was light and I could hear people chattering happily in the background.

I didn't reply, I just tried to hold back the tears flowing down my face. It didn't work as a sob escaped my mouth.

The tone of Demi's instantly changed to one that was a lot more worried. "Hey, what's going on?" The pop star asked softly as the voices in the background quieted significantly.

"I, D-Demi," I stuttered as the tardy bell rang. "I c-c-can't br-eathe."

"Shh, it's okay, just breathe, deep breaths, M," Demi soothed, using her nickname for me. "That's it, just focus on my voice."

That went on for a couple more minutes, my aunt calming me down without asking any questions while I struggled to catch my breath.

You see me standing, but I'm dying on the floor.

"Better?" Demi asked softly when my breathing was no longer quite so ragged.

I nodded before realizing that Demi couldn't see me. "Mhm."

"Wanna tell me what happened there?" The superstar asked after a second of silence.

"Not particularly," I responded, knowing that Demi probably wouldn't accept that as an answer.

"Come on, M, let me in, you can't keep putting up walls, Love," Demi said gently. "Max, what happened?"

I couldn't tell her about the cutting. No how, no way. That's not happening. "I just can't take it anymore. Demi, I-it hurts."

"Hey, it's okay, don't start crying again, alright? I'm going to come pick you." She didn't leave any room for argument in her tone, but I tried anyways.

"Demi, it's the middle of the school day."

"I don't care," the pop star responded as I heard the jingle of car keys being moved. "Just breathe and I'll be there in a couple of minutes."

The call disconnected and I was left alone in the silence, again.

Stone cold.

---

"Maxine Miller, please report to the front office. Maxine Miller, please report to the front office." The Pinewood Middle speaker crackled to life as I looked up. I was still in the bathroom, the urges still remaining as I dug my short fingernails into my forearm. It barely hurt.

I stood, slinging a backpack over my shoulder and splashing icy water on my face. Please, God, don't let anyone see that I'm crying.

Stone cold.

---

The school was freezing, despite my long-sleeved shirt as I walked through the bare halls. It didn't take long to reach the office, and as soon as I did, I was wrapped in a bear hug. A week ago, Hell, three days ago, I would have probably screamed, but now I just relaxed, knowing it was Demi.

"Come on," my aunt whispered in my ear and I just nodded mutely.

The brunette lead me out to her car, sliding open the passenger door for me before going over to the other side.

Maybe if I don't cry I won't feel anymore.

We sat in silence for a minute, Demi driving down the nearly empty highway before she parked at a bookstore and turned to look at me. "What happened at school?" She asked me not unkindly.

I shook my head. No way was I telling her about the bullying that had caused my panic attack and how like the stupid idiot that I was I had left my blade at home. Nice going there, by the way, Max.

The pop-star turned to face me, her warm brown eyes meeting my cool blue ones. "M, come on, talk to me. Don't put up walls again."

"Sorry," I mumbled, casting my gaze away from her strong, piercing one. I felt her hand on my chin as she tilted my head back up, making me look at her.

"Talk to me, not your hands."

I stayed silent, looking at Demi without making any comment on the concerned look she was giving me.

After a minute of nothing but a tense silence, Demi reached over with her other hand, hitting the release on my seatbelt. "Come here," she said softly, opening up her arms.

I couple of tears sliding down my checks, I climbed over from my seat to beside Demi, leaning over so that the side of my head was resting on her chest while she tucked her head on top of mine.

Stone cold, baby!

I could hear Demi's heart beating steadily compared to my rapidly racing one, but slowly, I felt mine slow down to match the tempo of her heartbeat as I calmed down.

"Just breathe," I heard Demi murmur in my ear whilst her arms wrapped tighter around me.

God knows I tried to feel.

________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: Hey everyone! So sorry for the delay in this chapter. I was supposed to have it up yesterday, but I completely blanked and forgot to post it. To make up for that, I'm gonna post another chapter within the next 24 hours. On a different note, we met the viewing goal on the last chapter, so I'm gonna change that and keep the other goals the same. So please, try and help me meet those as well. I really want to know what you guys think! Also, we're using Stone Cold for our lyrical dance this year and I was so happy when our teacher picked Demi's song! Anyways, like always, I just want to say thank you to everyone who viewed my story or voted. Even though I won't be setting any goals for this chapter (that will resume in the next one), please, vote and comment! I hope you enjoyed the chapter, and I'll talk to you all later! Bye!

P.S. What do you guys think about Max's name? I'm still not sure and really indecisive.