Extra- America the Beautiful Part 1 (4th of July)

"Maxine, let's go! You know your sister likes the fireworks, so stop being a baby that way we don't miss them!" My step-dad, Nolan, screamed at me as I sat on the other side my bedroom door. The truth is, I'm already dressed and ready to go; wearing jean shorts, black converse, and in a long-sleeved shirt with the American flag on it, I just don't want to leave the house. I can already hear fireworks outside and that's bad enough as is. I freakin' hate fireworks.

"You have two minutes to be downstairs."

'O beautiful for patriots dream.

I heard Nolan's footsteps storming down the stairs although, it was hard to hear anything over Alexa crying. Why the Hell is an eight-year-old crying over missing a few fireworks? They don't even start for another hour or so meaning she can shut up already.

Grabbing my iPod, I left my room. Why can't I just stay home? It's not like anyone wants me around anyways.

That sees beyond the years.

The stairs creaked loudly as I sulked down them before my mom held out one hand in front of me. The other was being used to support Alexa who, for some reason, she was carrying. She never did that with me. "iPod. This is a family day."

"But..."

"No, Max, now. Don't make me take it away from you for more than the day," My mom threatened in an annoyed voice as I looked out the living room window at the setting sun. Sighing, I handed the silver device to my mom and she pocketed it before gesturing to the door where my step-horror was waiting. "Let's go, we're going to be late already thanks to you."

"No, we're not," I mumbled under my breath too low for anyone besides Alexa to hear, however she stuck her tongue out at me when no one was looking before turning to Mom. "Ashley, Max's whining about the f-fireworks again. I just wanna see the fireworks and have her be h-happy for one day!"

"Maxine, stop! You heard your sister. She wants everyone to be happy and you're ruining this day for her. Why can't you ever think about anyone besides yourself?!" I turned away from my mom as she spoke, discretely wiping at my eyes. I hate my life.

Thine alabaster cities gleam!

---

The park was hot, loud, and overcrowded. How does anyone in their right minds like this kind of thing?!

BANG!

I resisted the urge to scream as the first, red explosion went off in the air. I freaking hate this! Oh my God!

BANG! BANG! BANG!

Alexa was cheering and clapping as I covered my ears and my step-dad took pictures of his favorite, perfect daughter. If only I had my iPod, at least then I could drown out the horrendous sound.

Undimmed by human tears!

BANG!

That went on for almost an hour. I have no clue where anyone even gets that many explosives to set off! But, eventually, we did get to go home, although I was unable to sleep that night since I never got my iPod back for 'making a scene by covering my ears' and the fireworks went off all through the night. I hate fourth of July!

America!

________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: Hey everyone! I have already pre-written the next couple of chapters however, I wanted to do something special for the 4th of July (I know it's only the third). Since I wasn't sure how to fit it into the next few of chapters, I decided to do a special instead (And this is before Demi showed up. Max is only nine in this meaning two years before she went to live with Demi). This is the first part of the two-part chapter, and the second part will come out tomorrow on the 4th of July, so keep an eye out for it and please vote and comment, it would mean a whole lot to me!

P.s. The song at the top is Demi singing since I didn't have one of her songs that fit the theme, but still wanted a song for the chapter. The video is quiet in the beginning because her mic is off, but it gets louder, so don't worry.

Votes: 140

Comments: 31