Chapter 14- Smoke and Mirrors Part 1

"We're stopping for food on the way to take you home, any requests?" Demi asked me as I climbed into the passenger's side of the car. "And yes," she added as I opened my mouth to speak. "you have to eat something."

"Um, smoothies?" I asked hopefully. It wasn't real food, not really truly, which made it ten times better than anything else out there that I had as an option right now.

The pop star seemed to consider what I said for a minute. "Alright, just so long as you drink it."

Waiting till the demons come.

----

"So what did you think of sound check?" Demi asked as I slowly sipped on my blueberry and banana smoothie.

"Eh," I teased with a small smirk. "It was okay, I guess."

"Oh, I see, that's how it's gonna be, huh?" Demi responded in a funny tone.

"Yup," I replied, unable to contain my smile. It's funny how you can go days on end without smiling and then when you're with the right person, it only takes one remark.

"Well then, it's on, Miller," My aunt said with a small chuckle as she pulled up into the driveway to our house

"Bring it, Lovato," I laughed back, slowly climbing out of the car with Demi following me.

Wait for us to see them run in our direction.

As we walked up the stone pathway to the front door, I felt Demi wrap one of her arms around me and pull me closer. "You okay?"

I didn't realize that I was shaking until she said something. "Yeah." Under my bracelets, I dragged my nails harshly along my skin, drawing drops of blood.

Now they're staring at us through the trees.

---

"Mom?" I called worriedly out as I walked into the house, hearing Demi's car drive away in the background.

"Where were you?" Nolan demanded over my mom's faint response.

Looking up, I suddenly realized that my step-father was on the couch in the parlor. How had I not noticed him?!

Got us falling to our knees to teach us a lesson.

"W-with Demi," I stuttered. Why am I so worried? It's not like he's actually going to do anything to me. All he ever does is make threats. Besides, Alexa's home, he can't do anything. "My mom knew I was leaving."

"You missed your dance classes! I pay good money to send you to all of your classes, and this is what you do in return? Skip them so you can hang out with your new friend? God, why are you so ungrateful?" Nolan shouted, suddenly standing up.

So tell me:

"We spoil you too much. Pay for everything, give you whatever you want, and this is how you thank us?!"

Did you ever really love me?

I felt my heart rate speed up at the furious look on my step-father's face. He can't do anything, he can't do anything, he can't...

"Upstairs, now, Maxine!"

Did you ever really want me?

Turning wordlessly, I practically sprinted towards the slightly unstable staircase and up to my room, making sure to lock the door behind me. I need to cut... and I need to do it now.

Now that I see you clearer. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: Hey guys! So, how is everyone? Personally, I'm feeling a lot better and excited about writing more and maybe even doing another story cause school's coming to a close soon! Only a couple review days and some final exams to go! And then on the other hand with this story, things are finally starting to happen! There are only a couple more days left where Demi will be staying in Arkansas with Max. What do you think is going to happen when she leaves? Anyways, I don't really have much to say besides please, please vote and comment. Tell me what you think of the story so far... is there anything you want to see happen?

Views:  700

Votes: 49

Comments: 2