Chapter 31- Gift of a Friend Part 2

"Why don't you want to eat?" I looked up from the sandwich that I was picking apart at Nicole's question.

"Oh, um, I guess I'm just not that hungry," I responded, trying to think up an actual response but coming up blank.

The world comes to life and everything's bright.

"So it has nothing to do with the fact that you ran to the bathroom as soon as we got off the bus?"

Shit, I'm gonna get caught! "N-no."

"You know, my sister has an eating disorder, and everything that she used to do you're doing too," Nicole pointed out, although her voice didn't sound accusatory or disgusted like I thought it would. She sounded almost concerned, but that can't be right. "She would try to make it look like she was eating food when really she was pulling it apart and putting it in piles-" the brunette gestured to the small piles I had separated my food into- "and then after she ate she would throw it away and go to the bathroom."

When you have a friend by your side...

I frowned, taking a small bite out of my banana and peanut butter sandwich. "See, I'm eating." I took another bite, but it felt like I was trying to swallow rocks. Just keep eating, you can purge later...

---

There were five minutes before the class bell when I managed to get out of the café. Blackwell Middle School gives students a lot more freedom than my old school in Arkansas, but sneaking away from the teachers is still frowned upon which is why it took so long.

I quickly raced down the light blue hallways and into what I had learned to be a bathroom that no one ever went into. It was a bit more run down than the others, but still in pretty okay condition if you asked me.

After pushing on all the stall doors to make sure that there was no one in the room, I entered the bathroom stall furthest from the door taking a deep breath before shoving two fingers down my throat.

That helps you to find the beauty of all.

I gagged before the little food that I had eaten came back up. Why can't I just be normal and keep food down like everyone else?

I took another deep breath, flushing the toilet and standing up. I can't stop moving now, or I think I might just break.

The water from the sink could barely be considered lukewarm as I scrubbed violently at my hands and popped a piece of mint gum into my mouth. I know I'm being ungrateful and stupid, but I almost miss Arkansas. Even being hated and in Alexa's shadow is better than this. At least then I didn't have to hide anything. No one cared if I lived or died. No one cared what I did to myself...

Pushing the thoughts to the back of my mind, I turned off the tap and exited the bathroom only to be met with a brunette girl standing, her arms crossed over her chest. "So, no eating disorder, huh?"

I take it back: I definitely miss being where no one cared what happened to me. It was so much easier cause then there was no one for me to disappoint, just like I always do.

When you'll open your heart and believe in the gift of a friend. 

________________________________________________________________________________
Author's note: so, what do you guys think? The past couple of chapters haven't really had Demi in them, but I think she comes back in the next chapter, so don't worry. Also, I feel like there are some errors in this chapter, but it's past 1 am here, I just finished 3 hours of dance and then like another 3 of working on Biology, Chemistry, and Statistics homework, so I'm exhausted and don't really have time to read over it again. Just point out any errors if you see them and I'll be sure to fix it. And as always, thanks so much for reading, and please vote and comment and I'll talk to you all soon! Question: what level of school are you in? I'm a sophomore in high school, meaning that I have 2 years left before I graduate.