Extra- America the Beautiful Part 2 (4th of July)

"Happy fourth of July, baby girl!" Demi cheered making me look up from my work.

Forcing myself to smile, I looked up at my aunt and set my mechanical pencil down. "Happy fourth of July, Dems."

America!

"Whatcha doing?" Demi asked, plopping down on the hardwood floor next to me. I held up the paper in response.

"Summer school."

The pop singer chuckled, grabbing the almost finished paper out of my hands and setting it on the couch. "You can do that later. Come on, let's go do something fun instead!"

"You're like a little kid," I teased as I tossed the pencil up on the sofa to hit the lined paper.

"Yeah, whatever," The brunette laughed full out, grabbing my torso and lifting me up so that she could spin me around before setting on my feet. She didn't make any kind of comment about me gaining weight which I was thankful for, although I'm not sure how she was even able to pick me up seeing as my aunt's been making me eat every single freaking day!

"Why don't you go change and then we can watch the fireworks at the lake?" Demi asked, looking out the window at the setting sun and referring to the fact that I was still in my Toothless the dragon pajamas. I felt my mood instantly drop, as nodded and headed towards my purple room. I still hate fireworks, they suck. I guess it was too much to hope that maybe Demi hated them too.

God shed his grace on thee.

In my room, I looked through my closet, which, per my request, didn't have too many clothes in it making it easy to find a pair of black leggings, a white sports bra, and a t-shirt that said 'America is free because of the brave.'

It didn't take long to change and I brushed quickly through my hair before looking down at my wrists. I haven't self-harmed in a few months and the scars are fading fast. A lot faster than I ever thought they would.

"Dressed?" Demi called through the wooden door and when I didn't answer she pushed it open, knowing that I would have said something if I wasn't.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong?" Demi asked, sitting down on the bed next to me. How did she know that I was upset? Am I really that readable?

"It doesn't matter," I responded, looking down before I felt Demi's fingers on my face, forcing me to look up at her.

"You matter, meaning what you're feeling matters too," My aunt stated firmly but kindly. "So what's bothering you, baby girl?"

"I don't wanna see the fireworks, I hate them. They're loud and big and..."

And crown thy good with brotherhood...

"Calm down, Mad Max," Demi ordered softly, moving her hand so that she could run it through her hair as she interrupted me. "If you don't like them, then we won't go. There's other stuff we can do instead."

"Really?" I questioned softly, leaning into her touch. Why couldn't I have done other stuff before with Mom and Alexa and Nolan?

"Really, really," Demi joked with a small smile before she grabbed her iPhone out of her jean pocket and clicked on Google. I laid down beside my aunt and watched as she typed in 'Fourth of July activities.'

In the end, we got a bunch of glow sticks out of the closet, made 'fireworks in a jar' with oil and food coloring, and Demi made red, white, and blue drinks out of cranberry juice, blue Powerade, and 7-Up. It was surprisingly good coming for being made by someone who can't cook to save their life.

To finish the day off, my aunt found silly string somewhere, don't ask me where cause I have no freakin' clue, and chased me around the backyard before I managed to steal the can from her. We both went back inside covered from head to toe in blue string.

As the sun hit the horizon and set completely, Demi and I curled up on the couch, music from her phone playing through earbuds loud enough to drown out the fireworks around the house. Overall, it was a pretty damn good day. I love fourth of July!

From sea to shining sea! 

________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: Hey guys! I'm not really sure when I imagine this taking place, but the first part was definitely before Max met Demi, and the second part was after she had been living with her for quite a while, so passed where we are now in the story. Tell me, what do you guys think of this? Do you want me to keep doing one-shots like these whenever a holiday comes up or should I try to fit it into the story better? Anyways, that's about all I have to say besides please vote and comment and the next, real chapter will be up in about 2-3 days! Bye, and I love you all!

P.s. The song at the top is Demi singing since I didn't have one of her songs that fit the theme to use, but still wanted a song for the chapter. The video is quiet in the beginning because her mic is off, but it gets louder, so don't worry.

Votes: 146

Comments: 31