Chapter 37- Believe in Me

The annoying beeping sound was back as I tried to force my eyes open. What happened? Am I in a hospital?

I could hear soft voices in the background, one of which I recognized as Demi's and I was able to pick up on a couple of the things said. "Self-harm... suicidal.... malnourished, she's only 60 pounds... passed out... kept for observation."

What the Hell is going on? Where's Demi? I want Demi!

I'm losing myself;

"Hey, Mad Max," I heard Demi's voice as if she heard my thoughts, and a second later I felt her running one hand through my hair that had to be all tangled up by now.

I finally managed to force my blue eyes open only to come face to face with Demi's dark brown eyes and a whole lot of light coming from the overhead panels.

"Too bright," I whined and almost immediately the lights dimmed down some and became more bearable.

"What happened?" Demi asked me softly after a minute, still running her fingers comforting through my hair. It kind of feels like it's been weeks since she paid this much attention to me. All it took was me passing out apparently.

I shrugged half-heartedly in response. "I felt sick."

Trying to compete with everyone else.

"I'm sorry," My aunt blurted out suddenly. "I was supposed to be taking care of you, and yet we still ended up here."

"S'okay," I mumbled, not really sure what to say as I snuggled into Demi's side and she laid down on the small hospital bed with me. Somehow, we both fit.

Don't know where to turn.

"No it's not, baby girl, and I really am sorry," Demi stated softly, before a doctor walked in, interrupting us, but luckily leaving the lights dimmed. I don't think my eyes could take it if he turned them back on.

"You gave us all quite a scare, Maxine," the doctor said once he realized I was awake and I fought the urge to roll my eyes at the use of my full name.

I've been stuck in this routine.

"I'm afraid we're going to have to keep you overnight," the doctor whose name tag said Murphy on it stated, glancing between my aunt and I. "And you really need to start taking better care of yourself, young lady. This could have ended badly for a lot of people."

"Yeah, sorry," I muttered, looking down as I felt my cheeks heat up at his comment. All that happened was I passed out, it's happened so many times before, what makes this any worse?

I need to change my ways instead of always being weak.

________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: I just wrote the last chapter of this story. There are literally eight chapters left! Also, I just got home from Girl Scouts, so I'm kind of bored out of my mind, but I still have hours of homework to do so me updating again will depend on if I finish that or not. And that's about it besides please vote and comment and also I just finished the quotes page so if anyone wants to go through and quickly read that they're completely edited and not being changed again. Question: how do you think the story is gonna end? What's gonna happen to Max and Demi?