Chapter 21- In Case

There was an annoying beeping sound when I woke up, and it was all I could hear. And everything felt heavy, really heavy. Like I was trying to swim through molasses.

It took a while before finally, I managed to open my eyes, only to squint at the bright light above me.

"She's awake," I heard a familiar voice say before someone appeared above me, blocking out the light completely. "How're you feeling, baby girl?" It was Demi.

"Wh-where am I?" I asked, my voice hoarse from lack of use, ignoring my aunt's question and posing one of my own.

"You don't remember?" Demi questioned, sounding a little worried as I heard a door open and close before footsteps. "Maxine, you're in a hospital, you tried to commit suicide."

In case you don't find what you're looking for.

Then, before I had a chance to respond, not that I really know how I would have, Demi's face was replaced by Mom's.

"What were you thinking?!" My Mom demanded once she was in front of me, making me flinch back as much as the overly fluffy pillow behind my head would allow. "Do you know what you put us through, how could you be so selfish?!"

That was not exactly what I was expecting. "I-I..."

"And Alexa, she was the one to find you, do you realize how traumatizing that must have been for her?" My mother continued on, cutting me off. Where did demi go? I want her back now, she's a lot nicer. Even if she did abandon me for LA. I understand that's her home and where she wants to be.

"Ashley," Demi called and my mom disappeared again as a couple of tears slipped down my face.

"I didn't mean to." I finished my sentence even though no one was there to hear it. "I wasn't trying to kill myself..."

In case you're missing what you had before.

"I'm sorry."

In case you change your mind:

———

Demi and my mom came back into the hospital room about five minutes later, this time followed by a doctor who introduced himself as Dr. Brown.

The doctor did a bunch of things with my IV and the machine that I was hooked up to before he cleared me which is where I found myself now. Sitting on the hospital bed, the IV gone and my arms wrapped in bandages to hide the deep cuts.

I'll be waiting here.

"Ready to go, Mad Max?" Demi walked back into the room, a small smile on her face, although I could tell it was forced.

I nodded in response, moving to stand even though I was still a little dizzy. I was in the same clothes as when I was brought in almost 24hrs ago, and I felt really gross. I just want to go home and change and sleep for a hundred years. If only I could.

"Demi..." I suddenly blurted out. Stupid Max, just keep your mouth shut for once.

"Yeah?" My aunt turned around to look at me again a kind and open look on her face.

"I-I'm sorry."

In case you just want to come home.

"It's okay, M," The singer responded immediately, knowing what I was talking about. I just shook my head. It definitely was not okay!

"Come here," Demi mumbled when I shook my head, stepping to close the distance between us before wrapping me up in a hug. "It is okay, and what your mom said is not true. You're not selfish or unwanted. You understand me?" I nodded even though I didn't believe her.

Strong enough to leave you.

"I was going to wait to tell you this, but I guess nows a good a time as any, right?" Demi asked after she released me from the hug.

"Tell me what?"

Weak enough to need you.

"I want you to come stay with me for a while in LA if you want. I already talked to Ashley about it and she's okay with that if you are," Demi said, a little of the confidence she always possessed missing from the statement.

I felt a million emotions at that. Excitement to be with Demi, sadness that my own mother didn't even want me around, and fear that this was just some elaborate joke.

"Really?"

"Really."

Cared enough to let you walk away.  

________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: Hello everyone! (I wanted to say something besides "hey, guys.") We're finally back to having longer chapters! And, things are finally starting to speed up. So, what do you guys think? Anything you want to see happen? I decided to post this a day early cause I just couldn't wait! And, as always, I hope everyone enjoyed the chapter, and please vote and comment, it means a lot to me. I'll talk to you all soon! QOTD: Are you all in school, and if so how many days do you have left before break? I have 7 days left and I'm so ready for school to be over!

Votes: 97

Comments: 9