Chapter XIX - False goodbye

K: Omg, my dad just danced to Single Ladies on stage! I-I can't.

B: XD Why didn't you film it?! I maybe wanted to see that too??

B: Wait why though?

K: The year is nearly over, dummy! It was my goodbye-present.

B: Oh... I kinda forgot, sorry?

K: What do you mean by that?

B: I didn't forgot that the end of the year neared and I didn't forget about you going away to New York, just... I kind of oppressed the need for a present for you.

K: Why is that?

There was a moment of silence. Barry must have been thinking about what to write.

B: I... don't want you to see me cry...

That surprised Kurt. Barry wasn't someone to hide his tears. He didn't do it when his mom died, when he told Kurt about what really happened, when he apologized for his behavior as Sebastian and now suddenly he did?

K: Why?

B: I don't know, okay?! I just really don't want you to see me crying a

Shit, thought Barry. He tried to delete the "about" but accidentally let the a in.

K: A?

B: Nothing, sorry. Was an accident.

K: Okay... We're going to talk later about that okay? I have to go to my next class.

B: Yeah, sure. Bye...

K: Bye.

When school ended and Kurt was nearly crying again, he texted his dad that he would come home later and drove to Dalton.

Right in that moment it didn't bother him if anyone saw him. He wanted to talk to Barry and get a hug from him.

...

He just really wanted that hug.

He walked down the hallway first to Barrys dorm but no one would open the door and it was locked and then to the Warbler-room.

He could hear the voices faintly when he turned around the corner and they grew louder with every step he made. They were singing but he recognized the song and thus knew it was nearly over.

Just as he reached the door he heard the last word of it, then there was cheering. He smiled faintly but the smile broke and shattered right after.

He breathed in and out deeply and then took the last step that would reveal himself to his former glee club.

Barrys back was turned to him, so he couldn't see him but the eyes of the others darted on him directly after he took that step.

"Hey... Bas?", he asked and cleared his throat right after, because his voice broke a bit.

Barry turned around surprised and his eyes widened when he saw his best friend that shouldn't be there. He didn't thought Kurt meant that when he said they'd talk later and he would have been a bit angry at him if he didn't saw the slight glittering of tears in his eyes.

"Kurt... w-what happened. Are you alright?", he asked concerned, not caring about his glee club that would ask a thousand-and-one questions later.

"Ye- no... Can we... talk? Alone, I mean.", his voice broke again. He tried to smile but it didn't work. There were so many worried faces but he only cared about Barrys right now.

"Of course. Come. And you guys... Ah fuck it, do whatever you want, for all I care!", Barry said walking over to Kurt and turning him to the exit, leaving his confused friends (if they even still thought about him being their friend) behind.

That's going to lead to an interesting conversation, but Barry couldn't care less about that right now.

As soon as they weren't within neither sight nor sound, he began to ask again: "What happen, Kurt?"

"I-it's... It's stupid.", was what Barry got as answer.

"Hey, hey, hey. If it makes you drive all the way up here just to see me, nearly crying and trembling, it can't possibly be stupid. So now c'mon. Tell me."

He led him to another room, a little room with some tables and chairs and big pillows to sit on. The windows showed the beautiful campus of Dalton and the sun always shone into the room perfectly so it would get the first and last streaks of the sunlight each day, every day.

Right now the sun stood a bit to the side, the light more shining at the wall, coloring the room in a light brownish warm tone.

Barry sat Kurt and himself on two of the pillows and Kurt began to talk: "I... I didn't make it into NYADA..."

He looked down at fidgeted with his fingers, so he couldn't see how Barrys eyes widened and he was speechless for a moment.

"Oh, Kurt, I am so-"

"No. Please don't. Just... could you hug me?"

Barry smiled a little. "Sure. Come here."

He put one arm around Kurts shoulders and another around his waist and hold him tight to himself, patting his arm and whispering reassuring words while Kurt silently cried into Barrys Blazer.

They stayed like this for a long time and were so deep in their thoughts and reassuring words that they didn't notice Jeff and Nick, who had disregarded their captains order and followed them secretly and were now looking through the little gap in the door that Barry didn't close in his haste.