Chapter XXIV - The New York Times

Okay, hear me out. If I don't want to, I can't write. So the break was a little longer than anticipated. Aaaaand this chapter is bad. Really bad. It's literally titled as "summary" on my laptop. Really bad. But hey! It's a chapter. And at one point or another I'm going to rewrite it to make it longer and better. ... Probably not this year though...

I also can't promise that the updates will be coming now every weekend again. It's hard writing this story because I like to do my research (watching the shows) well but I can only watch the Flash in German which is annoying as fuck when you're used to the English voices. Soooo, yeah. Could take a while.

Anyway, here you go. Enjoy!

~Jana

________________________________________________________________________________

When it was finally time to get the letters from the colleges, Barry couldn't sit still for a second. He wanted to get into NYU to be near Kurt for the next few years at least. He then would have enough time to either convince Kurt to come with him back to Central City or work something out so they won't have to be away from each other for too long.

The other college he applied to was one in Central City and even though it wasn't a bad one, Barry would like it more if he'd go to NYU. He wanted to be near Kurt. God, he loved that man but he also had to solve the mystery around the man in the lighting bolts all those years ago.

He was so nervous, he and everyone around him were sure he was going to dig a hole into the floor with his walking around.

"Sebastian, please stop. Your letter is not going to arrive any sooner just because you run around like a scared chicken," said Nick who had been watching him for quite some time now.

Barry stopped. "I'm sorry. It's just... If I don't get into the NYU I will be apart from Kurt even longer and maybe even further away. I have plans for after college and if I can't convince him to come with me we will be separated for a long time! Maybe even for ever! And after what happened with Blaine, he won't want a long distance relationship and-"

"Wow, wow, wow. First of all this is way too fast and way too much. You shouldn't worry about it. There are still a ton of other possibilities to stay in contact and you are not Blaine. I'm sure he would like to try it. And secondly, you fell so deep in love you should really be more careful about it."

Barry groaned and went through his hair. "I know. I know! I just... I once stopped fighting for what I loved and that won't happen again."

Nick took the few steps that were between him and Bary and laid a hand on his shoulder. "Hey, it's alright. Don't worry. You are going to study at NYU and you and Kurt are going to be a grossly cute pair and no one will ever be able to separate you after that. I'm 100% sure."

"Thank you."

---------

"Kurt! Kurt, I got in! I got into NYU!" - "That are wonderful news! But please don't scream into my ear like that. I still need it." - "Oh, sorry. I was just so excited. I mean, we are finally going to live in the same city again!" - "Yes, I know. And I can't wait."

---------

Barry then was searching for an apartment near Kurts but still a little bit safer... and more expensive. He later realized what kind of ass he was to his uncle for taking more and more money from him with never paying him back in any way. But in those years he was grateful for it because he hadn't had the problem of finding a job and going to college.

Still he later apologized to him for what he did and wanted to pay him back but his uncle didn't let him. But Barry wanted to give him at least something. Now his uncle could ask for his help at any time and Barry would be there as fast as possible which later would be really fast.

It resulted in him getting to take care of his niece -or however one might call the daughter of a cousin- every time her grandparents and/or their son wanted some alone time. It was stressful at times but as long as he had Kurt by his side, nothing could go wrong! ...Except for them nearly losing her in Central Park.

They had sworn to never let her parents and grandparents get knowledge of this.

But even when there wasn't a little baby to take care of, Kurt and Barry spent much time together and slowly it was clear to both that they couldn't stay just friends anymore. They both wanted to be in a relationship so badly they just did and when suddenly the day came where Barry had to leave to go back to Central City, they were both not ready.

They talked about it for hours. Many tears were involved and when finally they decided for what was best for both of them, neither of them were happy.

Kurt made it clear from the very beginning of their conversation that he didn't want to be in a long distance relationship. It wasn't that he didn't trust Barry but that after what had happened he didn't know if he could live with another and Barry understood.

But it was also clear that Barry had to go back to Central City and prove his dads' innocence. Besides New York just wasn't his city.

The result was that they had to break up but of course they stayed friends. It was like when they were in high school again with the addition of Barry now also having a job.

Still they at least once a week had time to call each other and if they had to talk to the other exactly then and there they texted a lot. Sometimes they just were rambling into the void and got an answer a few hours later when there was no problem anymore.

Everything was alright. They both were happy.

And then the lightning struck.