Chapter XXV - The Awaking

Kurt sat next to Barrys bed and hold his hand. His tears had dried months ago but he couldn't bring it over himself to leave his side.

"Don't you want to take a nap, Kurt?"

He turned his head to where the question came from. "No, Caitlin. Not yet. I... I just wanna stay up for another hour. Okay?"

She looked at him with her neutral-but-still-disapproving-doctor-face, as Kurt liked to call it, then sighed and nodded. "Okay."

There was a silence between them as Kurt continued watching Barry sleep and drew circles with his thumb on the backside of Barry hand. Caitlin went back to checking her patients vitals.

Then this silence was broken by the first tunes of poker face coming through the speakers.

"What are you doing?", asked Caitlin as she took a look at Barrys tubes.

"He likes this song!" - "How can you possible know that?" - "I checked his facebook page. I mean he can hear everything, right?" - "Auditory functions are the last to degenerate..."

"At least I get my daily portion of nerd talk from you two while he is... asleep," Kurt joked but the little smile he formed on his lips couldn't reach his eyes.

He got a smile from both of them, when suddenly Barry shot right up and took a deep breath. Confused he looked around while Cisco told Doctor Wells and Caitlin gave him an all round check up.

"Caitlin, stop for a moment, please. Let him breathe," Kurt said calmly but gave her a look that wouldn't allow a no and she stopped.

"K-Kurt, where am I? Who are those people? W-What happened?", asked Barry scared and confused but Kurt couldn't other than smile.

"Everything is fine. You're at Star Labs! This are Cisco Ramon and Dr. Caitlin Snow."

"St-Star Labs? A-and what am I doing here?"

"You... You were in a coma because of the lightning that hit you. Do you remember?"

"Wha- yes. Yes, I think so... For-For how long?"

"Nine months!", said suddenly another voice and every ones head turned. Harrison Wells rolled his way up to them and Kurt could see in the corner of his eye that Barry was as shocked as he was excited to meet the man in front him. "Welcome back mister Allen. We have a lot to discuss."

Kurt had stood up to grab a sweat shirt that he was now giving Barry. "It's great you're back and I would love to talk to you, but we can do this later. He is right, there is a lot to discuss."

He smiled sincerely but still a little sadness swung with it. "You sure?", he asked putting the shirt on.

"Yes, I am." Kurt nodded. He then gave Barry a hug and whispered slightly grinning: "Go with your idol. I meet you here later."

Barry rolled his eyes as they broke the hug but he smiled nonetheless. "He is not... Ah forget it." He tried to defend himself but he knew that he lost so he stopped and just walked with Wells out of the room.

They came back a few minutes later. They were talking about the Wests and Barrys mood shifted immediately. "Iris?", he asked after Wells told him, she and her father allowed the Star Labs team to bring him there.

"Yes, she came to see here quiet often."

"She talks a lot. Mostly with Kurt though," added Caitlin as she gave Dr. Wells his medicine. "Sorry", came his apology but he didn't seem to mean it all that much. He walked over to them and stood now between Barry and Cisco, who also added "She is hot!" and got a light punch by Kurt directly after.

"I need to go," said Barry and made his way to the door but got held off by Caitlin. She and Dr. Wells explained that they had to more tests but Barry wasn't having it, Kurt could see. So he quickly jumped in: "Yeah, I think you can do those later. Right now family is more important... and I wanna see Iris' face when she sees him, so I'm going with you."

"Bu-," Caitlin started but got interrupted by Barry: "Yes, thank you for saving my life" who dragged Kurt out with him just to return a second later, asking if he could keep the sweat shirt.

"Yeah, keep the sweat shirt," Wells replied slightly annoyed which got not noticed by Barry.

---------

"Iris is still working at Jitters and has a shift right now," explained Kurt as they walked down the street. Absentmindedly he had taken Barry hand and was now holding onto it like his -or Barrys- life depended on it. It hurt a little but it didn't matter for Barry. Kurt had been scared for Barrys life for nine months and was now making sure he wouldn't have to go through this again.

Barry just nodded and it was silent for a few minutes between them but as always, it was not an uncomfortable one. Still Barry felt like Kurt wanted to talk about something and stopped. Kurt noticed the tug on his hand and stopped in front of him.

"Kurt, you haven't really talked to me the whole time since I'm awake. What is it?"

Kurt didn't answer immediately. He looked up to Barry and studied his face before looking down at their hands. It seemed like he just now realized that he was holding Barrys and let go. Instantly they both felt the cold rushing around their hands and longed after the others.

"I... I don't know. It's not like I don't want you to be awake and alive. I'm so so so happy and grateful to see up and fine! I just can't stop feeling something is seriously wrong. And I can't pinpoint if it's about you or me or Iris or maybe even Dr. Wells! It is confusing and frustrating me and I don't know how to explain it right to you which frustrates me even more."

Barry let out a relieved sigh and smiled. He put a finger under Kurts chin to tilt his head and make him look up from the ground. "I don't know what it is either. You're probably more overwhelmed by my awakening after nine months -I still can't really get a grip around this- than I am and maybe that's the reason but if not than we'll figure it out, yes? Can we just first meet up with Iris and maybe Joe before?"

There was a moment in which Kurt just stared at Barry in amazement and joy of him simply standing there -he was alive, dammit!- before he eventually snapped out of it and responded: "Ye-yes, sure. I really wanna see their faces when they see you. I was so surprised I forgot to smile!"

Barry laughed. "Yeah I think I would have too," he said his eyes flickering down to Kurts lips. "Hey, you don't have a boyfriend, do you?"

"Uhm, no. Why are you ask-." Kurts question got answered as Barry kissed him. It startled him but he quickly melted into it.

"I just wanted to know I could do this. Come on, I don't want to let Iris waiting!" Barry walked past a starstruck Kurt, grinning like he didn't simply kiss him in the middle of the sidewalk. It took Kurt to snap out of this state and run after a now again laughing Barry.

"Barry, what the- Barry, wait up!"