Chapter 3: Maya

"See this isn't so bad?" Tasha asked swaying to the beat of the music. I sipped from my red plastic cup of soda. There would be no alcohol for me, I was designated driver tonight, and every night. But I almost wish I wasn't, I was going to need a buzz if I was going to have to deal with people asking if my haircut was inspired by Amber Rose all night.

"I guess," I replied. The music selection isn't too bad, there had been no Chainsmokers.

And Nick had enough booze to supply a small liquor store. His house was everything I thought it would be-giant. His living room could fit my entire apartment in it, his back yard looked like it belonged in the playboy mansion. But that's just the stuff I had seen, there was still way more house than that.

"Oh, loosen up, Maya," Tasha groaned. "You just got your first apartment. And look around you," she waved her arms around her. "We're in a fucking mansion. Pull the stick out of your ass and have some fun!"

"I'm trying," I lied. I wasn't. I was just trying to stay the appropriate amount of time before making a polite exit.

Tasha knew this, and she called me out on it. "No, you're not. You look like you're judging everyone here."

"I'm sorry." I'm not. "I didn't mean to look like that."

"It's fine. I know you have resting bitch face," she said taking a sip from her cup. "Just try to enjoy yourself. Flirt with a boy... or girl, that's what I plan to do." She looked over my shoulder and smiled.

I turned to see who she was looking at. A girl with shoulder length blonde hair stood on the other side of the room. She had a nice tan, and her boobsmade me feel flat-chested. And I was a proud C cup. Great, prep school Barbie.

"I have to go, I'll see you later," she said moving past me. "And remember what I said."

"I'll try my best," I promised. She left me to go flirt with Barbie in the corner, leaving me alone. Nia and Marcus disappeared shortly after we got here. They act like they haven't seen each other in months, when it's only been twenty-four hours.

Sam was showing Lavender how to play Super Mario on some handheld console he had, and it didn't look like they would be done for a while. I didn't know anyone else at the party, and I didn't want to get to know anyone else, so I decided to go upstairs.

Most of the party was downstairs. Besides the few people that were searching for a place to hook up the upstairs was completely void of partygoers.

I was just looking for a place to sit and serve my "resting bitch face" in peace. I opened a door praying that I wouldn't catch anyone having sex.

I felt relieved as I walked in-no fornication was happening here.

I had stepped into a bedroom that was nicer than any room I had ever been in. It was obviously somebody's bedroom, a large bed stood in the corner of the room, that made my cheap Ikea bed I bought look like a crib. A mini fridge, entertainment system complete with a flat screen TV, DVD player, sound system, and probably every gaming system in existence. Whoever's room this was had a pretty sweet movie collection too.

Plopping back on the large couch that sat in the middle of the room, I let out a large sigh. Now this is the type of celebration I'm talking about. All alone with nobody to bother me, it's perfect.

I was scrolling through Pinterest looking for inspiration for my new apartment when someone opened the bedroom door.

It was Nick. His dirty blonde hair was pushed out of his face, and dark stubble framed his jawline. He wore a tight white t-shirt and ripped jeans.