Chapter 10: Nick

She said yes!

Of course, this was what I was hoping for, but I wasn't completely sure. I was so unsure that I had looked at old clunkers on Craigslist just in case. But she said yes, thank God.

I remembered her saying she worked at Spins Record Store, so I asked Nia at school if she knew if Maya was working today. She was busy helping the transfer students but she said she thought so.

I had gotten sidetracked after school filling out the basic portion of my Kennedy Institute application, so I didn't have enough time to get changed before I went to the mall.

Before I went in, I stopped outside of the store and looked at her through the storefront window. Maya was too busy filing cds to notice me. She wore a t-shirt and worn black jeans, simple, but beautiful. I took a deep breath gathering the nerve to go in and talk to her.

The worst thing she could have said was no, but lucky for me she said yes. But not before giving me a hard time.

When she called her car a piece of shit I had to rush to say no. No car is truly a piece of shit, unless it's a limo. I hate those things.

I start tomorrow after school, but she said I could come over anytime. When we were talking she said she graduated early. Once again, I wish I would have known so I could have gotten her a card or something, but she said it was unintentional so I'm under the impression she hadn't been expecting it either. It was a great accomplishment all the same.

After speaking with Maya, I went next door over to Car World, the only store in the mall worth going to in my opinion. It had everything a mechanic could ever want; oil, brake pads, paint, upholstery, and not to mention the best selection of air fresheners. The whole place had the scent of new car, like they were pumping it in through the vents. My mind was running wild with ideas for Maya's car as I walked down the brightly lit aisles.

I would have to survey what the problem, or problems, were before I could start any remodeling. And from the looks and sounds of it I had my work cut out for me, but I was too excited to care. After reading more about the Kennedy Institute, I was determined to get in, no matter what it took.

"Hey, Kid, I haven't seen you in awhile."

"Oh, hey, Troy." Troy, the Car World manager, stocked the shelves with bottles of motor oil. His dark hair held back from his face with his glasses, and graying stubble created a five o'clock shadow on his lower jaw and onto his neck. He was around my Dad's age, and he looked it, because unlike him he didn't get botox every other week to keep his wrinkles away.

"What's up?" he asked. "Did you ever finish the mustang?"

"I did. I just sold it actually." I pulled my phone from my pocket. "Do you want to see pictures?"

"Of course." He pulled his glasses down so they rested on the bridge of his nose. He nodded impressed. "You've got the gift, Kid."

I smiled accepting the compliment. "Thanks." It meant more coming from someone who actually appreciated the craftsmanship and work that goes into it, not saying that I didn't appreciate it when Marcus or Sam gave me compliments, it was just different.

"I'm starting a new project tomorrow. I'm applying to the Kennedy Automotive Institute, and I'm one demo short. Have you heard of it?"

He chuckled lightly. "I have. I know the founder actually, great guy, but that's a tough school to get into."

I sighed. "I know, but it's one of the best schools on the east coast." And it seemed perfect for me. I'm not one to back down from a challenge, so the course load seemed fine. It's so close to home I wouldn't have to resettle in a new place.

"That it is." A customer approached the counter and began dumping his stuff in front of the register. Troy narrowed his eyes at him from where we stood in the aisle. "Looks like duty calls, but good luck with your application. I'm sure I'll be seeing you again soon."

I laughed. "You know it."

I've been coming here since I was twelve when I'd ask my nanny to drop me off at the mall. I would just look around with interest then, it wasn't until I was fifteen when I started buying things to use, and by then I'd already began reading about how to use everything and I knew the store like the back of my hand. Once I began working under the hood, I became addicted. I craved feeling the slick oil on my hands and the sound of a starting engine.

After Troy left to assist his customer, I walked around for a while, but ultimately left empty hand. Despite seeing about a hundred things that I wanted, including a sheet of yellow leather that called to me for some reason. But I had to have restraint. I wasn't sure how much money Maya's car was going to require, I have a feeling it's going to be a lot. Sure I have money, but I still need to play it smart.

Maya.

It was safe to say that I definitely have a crush on her. I would be lying if I said being able to spend more time with her wasn't one of the reasons I rushed to ask for her help. I hate admitting that Sam was right, mostly because, he likes to gloat.

While on my way to the food court, I stopped by a gift shop to get her a card. I know she was opposed to gifts of any sort, but I didn't care I was going to get her one. I asked the saleswoman if they had any graduation cards. She pointed me towards the back of the store in the clearance section.

There wasn't much to choose from and what I could choose from was pretty cheesy. And I was already going against what she told me to do, so I wasn't going to waste that on a lame card. After a little digging I found a rather simple card with a orange and white cat on the front wearing a graduation cap. It simply said, "Congratulations," on the inside, nice. I picked out the matching envelope and paid for it at the counter.

It was a dollar, she couldn't made about one dollar.

I took my gift shop bag and headed to the food court. I wasn't ready to go home, because what was I going home to exactly, so I just decided to eat dinner here and people watch.

While in line at the burger shack, I saw someone that looked very interesting. A woman, maybe sixty or so, with blue hair stood in front of me. It wasn't just her hair that was interesting but she was so small, she had to be 4'll if she wasn't shorter. Her oversized denim jacket looked like it was swallowing her.

"She must be a cool grandma," I thought to myself. I never knew mine, my Mom's parents died and my Dad never talked about his. I wouldn't be surprised if he just emerged from the pits of hell one day in the nineties and began his rich tirade on earth. But I guess that would make me part demon. Great.

"I would like one cheeseburger and a large order of fries, please," she said to the teenage boy behind the counter. He sighed deeply, obviously hating his job, and gave her a ticket with her order number on it.

While turning around she accidently bumped into me. I held my hands out on her shoulders so she wouldn't fall down.

"I'm sorry. Are you okay?" I said as she tried to right herself.

She laughed. "I'm fine, just a clumsy old woman that needs to watch where she's going." She looked up at me; her eyes were dark brown and covered with makeup. "Wow, you are really handsome," she said catching me off guard.

I flushed. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," she smiled. "I was just getting some dinner for my Chickpea." Her Chickpea? She realized what she had said and corrected herself. "I mean my friend."

On the other end of the counter they called her number. She looked down at her ticket. "That's me, but thanks for helping me....what was your name?"

"Nick."

"Well, Nick, thanks again for helping me."

"Your welcome." She took her already grease stained bag and went along her merry way. I never got her name, but I put it out of my mind and stepped forward to place my own order.

"Welcome to Burger Shack, how can I help you?"