Chapter 11: Maya

Boom. Boom. Boom.

I woke up startled by the loud banging on my front door. What the hell?

I scrambled to find my phone in my sheets. Finding it under my pillow I checked the time. It was two-thirty in the afternoon! Jesus, I hadn't meant to sleep in that late. I guess that's what I get for staying up late watching youtube videos. Wiping my eyes I looked at my phone more closely- it was flooded with missed calls and texts from Nick.

Shit!

I completely forgot he was coming over.

Boom. Boom. Boom. Knocks sounded on the door again.

Quickly, I leaped out of bed and scurried into the leaving room to answer the front door. Before he could bang on my door again, I flung it open.

"Hi, I'm sorry, I just woke up," I explained quickly. "Can you please stop banging on my door?"

With his hand still up to knock he stared down at me wide-eyed. And at first I thought maybe my question about the door was too impolite, but then I felt a sudden breeze up my legs.

Yes, that's right, as if me waking up late wasn't bad enough, I had answered the door in nothing but an oversized t-shirt and no pants. My legs were bare for the whole world to see.

Shocked and mortified, I immediately closed the door again and ran back in my room to find pants.

"Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit." I chanted to myself as I struggled to put my foot in the leg of my shorts. What a wonderful way to start my day.

I went back to the door, this time with pants. And opened it.

Nick still stood there with his hands now by his sides. "Hi."

"Hi," I said. "If it isn't too much to ask can we forget that ever happened?"

"It's already forgotten," he lied. Neither of us will be forgetting this moment anytime soon.

"Good, come in." I waved him inside. He stepped inside, and now that my embarrassment had subsided I could focus on him. He wasn't wearing his school uniform, which is surprising, assuming that's where he just came from. But instead he wore faded blue jeans and a black t-shirt. Good looking as ever, his hair was untamed and messy.

"I see you've finished decorating," he said looking around. "It looks nice."

"Thank you." If I would have gotten up earlier I would have cleaned up a bit. My sneakers laid in the middle of the living room floor and my coffee table had dvds scattered across it. Maybe Roxanne had left more of an impression on my than I thought, because those few things were making me itch.

"Do you want a glass of water or anything?" I asked trying to be a good hostess.

"No, I'm fine," he replied. I nodded. Okay, this was only slightly awkward.

"So what exactly are you planning to do to my car?"

This got him talking. "Well, first I have to look it over and see what's wrong with it. After that I can get started working on different things depending on what parts I need to order....."

I found myself getting lost as he was talking. Not that my car didn't interest me, but his face is just so distracting.

Are his eyes blue or gray? Was it just a trick of the light? Does he put product in his hair or does it fall that way naturally?

"Maya," he said my name snapping me out of my thoughts. "Are you listening?"

"Yeah, Yeah, I am." A complete lie. "You said you're going to paint my car?"

"Eventually, but that won't be for some time."

"I would like to keep it the same color if that's okay." Even though some spots were rusty the teal paint was one of my favorite things about my car and I don't want that to change.

"I won't, I promise. If you wouldn't mind I would like to look at it now."

"Right, that is why you're here. Just let me get my keys."

I grabbed my keys out of my backpack that sat on the couch. Curious at what he would find I went outside with him.

When we got outside he popped the hood and told me to start the engine for him. Wanting to do my part, I did as he asked. Sliding into the front seat, I put my key into the engine and attempted to start it. I saw Nick flinch slightly at the first unsuccessful turns. I think that was the moment he realized that he had bitten off more than he could chew.

After a few more turns I got the old thing up and running. I knew it wouldn't let me down. A pained expression came across Nick's face as he looked down at the mess that was laying under the hood. I understood it because when I change my oil I also marvel at the confusing mess that lays beneath the hood.

But my face isn't nearly as cute as his.

I don't necessarily see myself as someone who needs to be with a guy to be happy. Sure I've been with guys, I'm no virgin, but they usually annoy me with them constantly saying ignorant things and trying to speak for me, and all that other problematic shit that some of them do. But something there's something about Nick that I like.

Maybe it's that despite me standing right in front of him in only a t-shirt and underwear he didn't make any lewd comments. Or that he's filthy rich, but isn't flashy about it. Well, maybe he is, but not intentionally. But let me not get my hopes up, he could turn into a jerk at any second. I hoped he wouldn't but who knows.

"Is everything looking okay?" I said he'd been too quiet.

"Uh, no," he said honestly.

"I thought so," I replied. "I told you it was going to be bad."

"You did," he sighed. "But I thought you were exaggerating."

"I would never." I propped my head up on my knee in the front seat. "Do you at least think it's fixable?"

He paused a bit too long for my liking. "I'm...I'm going to try my best."

"Just don't make it worse."

"Maya, I don't think that's possible." Yikes, I knew it was bad but I didn't know it was that bad.