Chapter 16: Nick

"Nick. Nick, wake up. Nick."

Someone was gently shaking my shoulder. I didn't leave Maya's until around three a.m, so I stopped at home to shower and change then left again. I'd gotten to school early and I had nothing better to do, so I went to sit on one of the many couches in the library. I must have fallen asleep, which isn't like me at all.

I opened my eyes to find Nia standing over me, an amused look on her face.

"Nick, what are you doing you're going to miss first period?" she asked.

I sat up rubbing a hand over my eyes. "I didn't realize I had fallen asleep." I looked at the time on my phone and she had been right I was going to miss first period if I didn't leave soon.

"You must have been really tired," she observed.

"I was at Maya's really late last night. It must have just hit me all at once." I had lied when I told her she wouldn't distract me, because that's exactly what she had done. When she's around it's hard for me to focus on anything else.

"I can write a pass for you," she offered.

"Oh, thanks that would be great," I said following her to the desk.

"I heard that you were fixing Maya's car for her. Is she being nice to you?" she asked pulling a stack of pink passes out of a drawer and began to write one for me.

"She is," I asked. That was a weird question. "Why do you ask?"

She smiled to herself. "It's just Maya isn't known for being the nicest person. Of course, I love her, but she can be a little...closed off."

Oh, well, she's not like that with me. We talk about everything, our families, or lack thereof, and things that we like and dislike. She seems pretty open to me. "She hasn't been that way with me," I said.

"Really," she asked surprised. "It usually takes her awhile to warm up to people, but once she does she's just a big softy." She realized what she had said. Wide-eyed, she said, "Don't tell her I said that."

I chuckled. "Your secret is safe with me." Maya did seem to keep a tough girl rep, but I liked her sarcasm. I think she's funny.

"Here's your pass." She handed me the pink slip of paper sending me on my way.

"Thanks," I told her. I took my pass and went to my first period. I wasn't too worried about being late, it was only personal finance. My teacher didn't seem to care much either, taking my slip and handing me a worksheet without a word. Lovely.

I sat down to do my worksheet about mortgages, but all I could think about is Maya and her car, but mostly Maya.

Everytime that I see her and talk to her I feel myself falling harder for her. We just click.

My phone vibrated in my pocket. Discreetly, I looked at it from underneath my desk. Maya had texted me a photo of her and her coffee writing, "Coffee the superior energy drink," underneath.

I chuckled softly. We had a running disagreement about that. She'd tried to convince me last night, but I wouldn't budge, it's nasty and I'd pick my heartattack juice over it any day.

I saved the picture to my phone before texting her back.

It's still gross.

You're a hater.

I rolled my eyes. I'm honest.

The word delusional seems more fitting.

Before I could respond another text came on my screen. I was thinking about getting take out after work. Do you like chinese food?"