Chapter 40: Nick

He'd only just gotten here and I already wanted to smash his face into the kitchen counter.

"Damn, she's hot," Dad whistled watching Maya scurry out of the kitchen. I hated how he was looking at her. And the fact that she was half naked didn't make it any better. I had no idea he was even coming home. He usually calls first.

It never really mattered before but I didn't want to subject Maya to him. She didn't deserve that.

For the most part, he looked the same as he did a few months ago, maybe a little bit more tan, but he likes to island hop so he can stay bronzed through the winter months. He held a little bit more expression in his face letting me know that he was due for a fresh injection of botox. His dyed blonde hair was brushed back from his face and his lightweight button down and slacks were inappropriate for the chilly November weather.

"You should never bring the girl that you have on the side to your house," he said setting his phone and keys on the counter. "It makes hiding things too complicated."

"Maya's my girlfriend, Dad." I tried to keep my voice level.

"Really?" he asked confused. "What happened to that one girl--Diamond?"

"Crystal." For all the years that I was with Crystal and he didn't even remember her name. He's met her parents for crying out loud! "And we broke up a while ago."

"Pity," he shrugged making himself a drink at the bar. He sniffled, brushing his nose with the back of his hand. "Now remind me was she the one with the huge rack because I can't remember."

I hate him.

I didn't even dignify what he said with a response. "Where were you?" I asked him trying to steer the conversation around.

"Oh, here and there," he said breezily, "I went to Turk and Caicos for a few days, at least I think that's where I was." He took a sip of the amber liquid in his glass, "I don't really remember, but I think I'm going to open a resort there."

He spotted the open Kennedy Institute letter on the counter, and my stomach dropped a little. "What is this?"

"It's a letter," I said sarcastically. I guess Maya is rubbing off on me more than I thought she was.

"No shit, smartass. But why is an automotive institute sending you letters?"

"Because I applied." Dad was never much into my education, the closest he came to a parent-teacher conference is when he had to turn in a check. He never even came to any of my football games, I never wanted him too. I didn't expect an interest in my schooling to start now.

He wrinkled his nose up with displeasure. "What are you going to do? Change people's oil. You can pay someone to do that you know."

I rolled my eyes. "I know I can pay someone to do that but I don't want to. I want to learn how to do it myself and own my own auto body shop."

"That sounds....horrible, honestly." I didn't expect him to understand he's never been the guy to want to get his hands dirty. "Wouldn't you rather just open hotels with me?"

Now that sounded horrible.

"Nope," I replied.

His brows knitted together in confusion. "That may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard, but whatever."

If I craved his approval I would be hurt, but I learned a long time ago that it's not worth anything anyway.

"Have you talked to Mom recently?" She hasn't called me in months, and I wondered how she was.