Chapter 6: Nick

When Maya asked me if I was good at building things, I expected to build one cabinet or maybe a table. But instead I built a rooms worth of bedroom furniture. It wasn't too bad, except for the lack of instructions, and the constant googling I had to do to get the instructions.

But I did it. I found myself wanting to do anything Maya told me to do.

She looked so cute in her little overalls today. They made her ass and legs look amazing. She's so small, I would be tempted to squeeze her cheeks if I didn't think she would punch me in the face.

"Nick!" Maya said poking her head into her room. I brushed the dust off the top of a tall dresser I had just put together.

"Yes," I replied.

"Pizzas here."

"Okay, I'll be out in a second," I replied.

"My room looks amazing," she said leaning against the door frame. "I mean it'll be better once I actually have sheets on the bed. And decorations, but I like it."

"Maybe I should get a job at Ikea, you know building those furniture displays."

"I think you have a bright future ahead of you as an Ikea furniture builder," she agreed.

I placed a hand to my chest. "That means so much to me coming from you."

She smiled at me, before looking behind her into the living room. "Just come out when you're ready."

Maybe if being a mechanic didn't work out I could work at Ikea. It didn't seem like a bad job to have, and I could eat those meatballs they always have in their cafe. I cleaned up the mess of tools I had laid in the middle of the room. It felt good to see the once empty room now filled with furniture. Granted it still need some decorations, but the bed was finished and I'd set up her lamp, dresser, and side tables for her. I hadn't asked her if she would be living with anyone else, but it was something that I had thought about it while I was working. If she had a boyfriend he would be here helping her wouldn't he?

She'd caught me off guard when she asked me about my parents. No one ever does, where I live everyone knows about how shit my dad and mom are but they never ask me about it. They talk to me about them as if they're still good people, but they never have been.

Maybe the comment I made about not always being alone wasn't the best decision. I didn't want her to think that I'm a player--I'm not. Have I had a few hook ups since Crystal and I broke up, yes. But they knew I wasn't looking for anything serious, and from what I was told neither were they.

Now if Maya ever wanted to visit, I wouldn't mind. But I don't think I would want to just hook up with her. She interests me.

After washing my hands in Maya's small bathroom. I went into the living room where everyone was sitting around Maya's low coffee table. They sat pulling slices from the three large boxes.

I stepped over the moving boxes, trash bags and sheets of bubble wrap to get over to them. Seeing an open spot next to Maya, I took it with no hesitation.

"I thought you were never going to come out," Maya said taking a bite out of her slice of supreme pizza.

I crossed my legs under the table. "Was just cleaning up my mess," I told her. I took a napkin from the pile that sat on the table.

"Thanks," she said her voice muffled as she dabbed her lips with a napkin.

I looked around the living room, it looked nice. The posters that Maya was looking for earlier hung above her couch, all various sizes organized to cover the majority of the wall. A clothing rack stood in the corner of the room. From what I'd seen of her closet if she had a lot of clothes she was going to need the extra space. Crates of vinyl albums sat on dark wood dresser next to an old record table.