Chapter 37: Maya

You know sleeping next to someone else isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

When I envisioned myself having to share a small sleeping space with someone else it repulsed me, like chills up my spine disgust, but sharing a bed with Nick isn't that bad. He doesn't make me feel hot or sweaty, and he doesn't hog the blankets. He pretty much stays in one spot, but he does snore. It's not a loud obnoxious sound, just a continuous buzzing. It's kind of cute actually.

God, I must really love him for me to think his snore is cute.

"Maya," Nick said with his eyes still closed startling me. "Why are you watching me sleep?"

I looked away embarrassed. "I wasn't."

He looked at me through cracked eyelids. "Yes, you were. I could feel it."
"That's stupid, you couldn't feel anything."

Yawning, he wrapped his arms around my waist, spooning me. "You were looking at me but I don't mind," he pressed a kiss on my cheek. "If you're into that type of thing, you can watch me all you like."

"I wasn't watching you," I said defensively, turning to look at him. His hair was a mess, and his eyes were still sleepy despite the mischievous grin on his face. "Your snoring woke me up."

That was a lie. Charlie pawing at my legs woke me up. Turns out the only thing he wanted was attention. Typical.

"If you say so," he said, knowingly. "So what are your plans for today?"

I sighed letting myself get comfortable next to him. This was all still weird for me the whole love thing. "I don't know, I was going to hang out with Maggie."

"Who's Maggie?"

"She's my friend," I said. "She owns an antique shop a few minutes away. You should come with me, you'd like her." I haven't seen the old lady in a few weeks, so I thought I would check up on her. Make sure she's not getting into any trouble.

"Okay," he agreed. "I'd like to meet your friend, but can we go to my house afterward."

"Sure." I haven't been there since he let me borrow his car.

"I think my letter from the institute might be in the mail," he explained. "I hope I got in."

"Of course you got in," I said confidently. "They'd be stupid not to let you in."

He chuckled. "Thanks, but I still need to check."

I have complete confidence in him. They'd have to be blind not to see his talent. "I love you," I said before I could stop myself.

He smiled making me feel all jelly inside. I don't know if I'll ever get used to this feeling. Even if we're together a hundred years, I don't know if I'll get used to him looking at me with his warm eyes and soft smile. But I guess that's the fun of it.

"I love you too," he said, kissing the tip of my nose. "What do you want for breakfast?"

"You're going to cook something?" I asked, surprised.

"I can make eggs, Maya," he rolled his eyes.

"I like mine scrambled," I told him. "And we can make pancakes," I remember picking up some mix from the store.

"I don't know how to make that," he admitted, a cloud of doubt coming over his face.

"Don't worry, I'll help you." If he can manage to make pasta and scrambled eggs, he can make pancakes no problem.

"Okay," he sighed, relieved. "We'll leave after breakfast."

I nodded in agreement. "Maybe I'll find a few more things for my apartment while we're there, and maybe a few sweaters too." It was getting really cold out, and I wasn't as prepared as I thought I was.