Chapter 17: Maya

Nick and I had fallen into a nice routine. The only hiccup we've had in the last few weeks was that awkward moment when I blurted out how I thought he was cute after he said that I thought he was cute, and then I thought he was going to kiss me. God, that's a mouth full.

Maybe it was just wishful thinking but I swear he was going to kiss me. And every time I think about it I get mad at myself for not taking matters into my own hands and planting a big kiss on him myself. If I had to wait on a boy to do something I might be waiting forever. But that seems like what's happening anyway, I just haven't found the right time to make move yet. But I will...eventually.

So this is what happens.

He comes over after school. He changes, we eat, we talk, he works, we talk some more. He leaves at one o'clock in the morning, and we do the same thing again the next day.

After talking to Nick for days on end, I've learned that he has questionable taste in movies, and even though he has a collection of luxury vehicles he's not very materialistic.

I looked out my living room window to see him working to put a new engine in my car. He'd danced around the question when I asked him how much it had cost but thanks to my friend Google I found the answer myself, and almost imploded when I saw the price. Two thousand dollars! I had went into sticker shock, while Nick rushed to assure me it was a necessity, and it would be worth the money. I still get chills thinking of all the things that I could buy with two thousand dollars.

I could see dark rain clouds rolling in on the horizon. He might not be able to work for much longer. It made me sad to think that he might have to leave soon. I drifted away from the window and looked for something to do. Not being in school has proven to be extremely boring. I don't have any homework to do, so when I get home for work there's not much for me to do. I walked into my bathroom, maybe I could clean something.

Disappointed, I found that my bathroom was already very clean. Placing my hands on my hips there has to be something for me to do. I opened my medicine cabinet there wasn't much in there except my toothpaste, mouthwash, and all the things that Lavender gave me in her housewarming basket. I think I saw some face masks in there.

I rifled through the moisturizers and eye creams that I don't use to get to the different colored clay powders. I pulled out the two jars, and began reading the instructions.

"Pour a spoon full of clay powder into a bowl with equal parts water, and mix until it turns into a thick paste. Spread a layer onto a clean face and wait for fifteen minutes or until dry."

"That sounds easy enough to me," I said to myself. I went into the kitchen and began gathering supplies.

After laying out two spoons, two bowls, and a cup of water, it was time for me to decide which one I wanted to use. I could pick the Green Goddess mask, to clear and brighten. Or the Pink Peony mask, to hydrate and brighten.

I was in the middle of making my decision when I heard my front door open and slam shut. Nick appeared in front of the bar separating the kitchen and living room, his hair and shirt wet.

"It's raining," he said slightly out of breath. He ran his hand through his wet hair slicking it back.

"I can see," I said. If Nick's damp appearance didn't already confirm the storm outside the loud rumble of thunder sure did.

He asked, "I can't drive in that. Is it okay if I stay here until it's over?"

"Of course," I said trying to hide how excited I was that he wouldn't be leaving. "I wouldn't want you to get in a wreck or anything."