Chapter 9: Maya

"There she is! Independent woman!" Terry announced from behind the register. Her feet kicked up on the desk, she wore a dirty pair of Doc Martens and an old Sister Sledge t-shirt. She'd recently dropped out of college, for the third time, and had started working here until she "figured everything out." I'm not judging, but I don't think she'll have anything figured out anytime soon.

"How was the move?" she asked when I joined her behind the counter.

"It was good. I had a lot of help." And thank God for it, I would have never gotten that couch upstairs by myself.

"What's in the box?" she asked looking at the white box I held in my arms.

"Cake, you want some?" I'd cut it in half taking the parts I'd already eaten from. I could feel my thighs growing with every bite, not that I minded, but it felt like my jeans were going to bust open at any moment, so I thought I'd spread the love a little.

"Definitely, what's the special occasion?"

"I graduated."

"What! That's great, Maya!" She exclaimed, her black rimmed eyes growing wide with excitement. "Did you have a party or something? I would have gotten you a card."

"Nope, no party." Much to Nia and Tasha's dismay. They said I had to have one, but I stood my ground. There would be no party for me.

"Well, congratulations, anyway."

James stuck his head out of the office. "Did I hear something about a party?"

"Where is it? And am I invited?" He said coming out. Our lovely manager, James, was always ready for a party. Standing only a few inches taller than me, he looked more like he managed a country club than a record store. He had his straight brown hair in a Ryan Seacrest style faux hawk, and he wore a light pink polo and khaki shorts.

"There's no party," I told him.

"But there is cake," said Terry showing the box to him.

"Looks good," he said appreciatively. "Can I ask the occasion?"

"She graduated!"

He looked at me in shock. "And you didn't call me! I have to say I'm hurt." He's so full of drama.

"It wasn't a big thing." It wasn't a thing at all actually. "They're mailing my diploma."

He sighed. "I still wish I had known. You know I love giving gifts." The last thing I need is more gifts.

"It's okay James, I appreciate the thought."

Terry swung her feet off the counter and stood. "With that being said it's three o'clock and it's time for me to go. I'll be taking some cake and leaving now."

"Goodbye, Terry," James and I said to her as she disappeared into the break room with the box of cake.

James rolled his eyes once he was sure she was gone. "I don't know why she was in such a hurry to leave she hasn't done anything all day. Or I should say the last four days. I haven't seen her do anything but sit on her butt since you've been gone."

"Yikes." I slipped my backpack under the desk and sat on one of the stools. "So what do you want me to do?"

"Can you go through the cds?" He asked. "They're a mess, and you organize them so well."

I smirked at him. "It would be my pleasure."

"See, Maya this is why you're my favorite."

"I thought it was because there's only two people that work here."