Chapter 43: Maya

"Jerry, how do you sell a house?"

I sat at the register with my notebook and pen. Over the last few hours, I had made a long list of things Nick needed to get in order now that his father is moving to Italy, which is still insane to me. He was just abandoning his son. I hated him before, for obvious reasons, but when I saw how hurt Nick was by his sudden move, I've never felt such rage. It was so selfish, and even if he was choosing to leave, he could have at least waited until his birthday past. Or Christmas, if he was feeling generous.

I could barely sleep last night I had so many thoughts racing through my head. There was so much that needed to be done, Nick has to move in, he has to get rid of all of his furniture and all of his Dad's things, and then he has to sell his home, which neither of us has ever done before. The next few weeks we're going to be interesting, to say the least.

"Well first you have to find a real estate agent, and they'll make sure it's fit to go on the market. And once they put it on the market, people come and look, and eventually, someone will buy it." Jerry explained as he created a pyramid out of CDs. He drifted over to me with his leftover stack of CDs. "Why do you want to know? Did you inherit a house from a long lost relative or something?"

"I wish." I made a note of what he said: "find a real estate agent." "Nick wants to sell his house and I'm just trying to help."

"How sweet of you," he mused. "Is he buying a new house?"

"No, he's moving in with me." Even saying it felt strange but also exciting. He's there all the time so it won't be much of an adjustment, but I was still giddy about getting to see him full time, all the time, and I know Charlie was going to love being able to rub his fur all over him.

Shocked, Jerry asked, "Really?"

"Yes, you don't think it's too soon?"

"Please," he chuckled. "How long have the two of you been dating; a few months? Frankie moved in after three weeks."

"So you think it's a good idea?"

"I think if you're ready to move in together, then that's exactly what you should do." He bumped my shoulder with his. "I can't believe you two are so serious. When am I going to finally meet this dreamboat of yours? I'm starting to think you're hiding him from me."

As Jerry talked, Nick waved at me through the front window.

"Looks like this is your moment Jerry." I waved Nick in, standing from my stool. I've always liked the way he's looked in his school uniform, almost as much as I liked seeing him in his motor oil-stained jeans and t-shirt.

Jerry whipped around suddenly excited. "Oh my god, he is so sexy," he said as Nick walked up to us.

I rolled my eyes at him but didn't disagree. I met Nick on the other side of the counter, "Hi, I didn't expect to see you until later."

He smiled, putting his arm around my shoulder. "I wanted to see if you wanted to get a bite to eat?"

"Yeah--I would love too." I looked over at Jerry who waited patiently for his introduction.

"Jerry, this is Nick my...." I hesitated the word boyfriend on the tip of my tongue. I was going to say it-I was, but before I could Nick opened his big mouth and said.

"Hi, I'm Nick, Maya's lover," he introduced himself making me choke. My what?

Jerry's eyes widened. Laughing, he said, "Well, Maya's lover, it's nice to meet you."

I could feel myself face growing hot even if no one could tell. I can't believe he would say that. Never mind, yes I can, it's just the type of thing I would expect from him. He's such a cornball sometimes.