Chapter 8: Nick

"Can you believe we're seniors?" asked Marcus as we stood next to our cars in the school parking lot. Just Sam, Lavender, Nia, Marcus and I. No Crystal for obvious reasons, and no Stacy either. Nia said she was in London for a semester, attending an art program at some college.

"Yes, I can," said Sam. "I've been touring colleges all summer, not to mention having to tutor people preparing for the SATs. I can't seem to forget that I'm a senior."

Lavender smiled at him as she sat atop the hood of her mini cooper. "Thanks for tutoring me though. My score went up several points thanks to you."

"Your welcome, just doing my job."

I took a swig from my Red Bull can, Maya's voice played in my head, as the carbonated energy drink filled my mouth. She says it'll give me a heart attack, but I needed the energy to get through the day, and water wasn't going to help me do that.

"Do you know what time you're supposed to meet with Dean Nelson?" Nia asked leaning against her car. I've never seen a car that was more Nia in my life. It was bright red and very....cutesy.

"Mine's not until tomorrow," Marcus responded. All seniors received an email about a mandatory meeting with Dean Nelson. They went in alphabetical order, so I was one of the first ones.

"I go at eight-thirty today," I told them.

"Lucky, I don't go until the end of the week," said Lavender. "That's what I get for having the last name Zeller."

Nia said, "I'm not too far ahead mine's not until Wednesday."

"What is she talking to us about anyway?" I asked. "She has to meet with every single one of us. Why can't she just hold an assembly?"

"She wants to know our intentions. What colleges we're looking into, how our gpas are looking, and she's going to talk to us about our schedules," Nia explained before her phone alarm went off. Pushing off the side of her car, she said, "I have to go. I have a meeting with East Chapel's new transfer students."

"There's more?"

She grinned. "Yes. There's twenty in total and Dean Nelson asked if I could show them around."

"That's great, babe," Marcus smiled at her. He gave her a kiss on the forehead. "I'll see you later."

We waved goodbye. I slung my bag over my shoulder from where it rested on the hood of my car. I'd chosen to drive my porsche today it seemed fitting with this being the first day of senior year.

"I should get going too. I would hate to be late for my meeting."

I stepped into the front office, and sat in one of the cushioned leather chairs in front of Dean Nelson's office. I could hear the freshman asking constant questions about where to go out in the hallway, and I could hear voices coming from within Dean Nelson's office, but they were muffled by the door so I couldn't tell what they were saying. Who could be in there? I was always first when it came to school meetings.

My question was answered when Crystal emerged from Dean Nelson's office smiling. But she did look a bit startled when she saw me.

"Oh, hi, Nick," she said standing next to where I was sitting.

"Hi, Crystal." Her now shoulder length hair was straightened and shiny. She wore sheer white tights under her short plaid skirt. She wouldn't be Crystal, if she didn't tailor her uniform somehow. Her jacket which was once full length had been cropped to fall at her waist.

"It's been awhile," she said looking down at her heeled feet.

"About three months," I said. "Did you have a good summer?"