Chapter 22: Nick

Skittering back and forth, Charlie chased the blue ribbon that I dragged across the floor. We've only had him a few days, but I can already see a difference in his appearance. He wasn't so gaunt, probably because we keep spoiling him with food and treats. But I'm constantly playing with him so he won't get too fat too quickly.

Maya is in love with him. She won't admit it, but I can tell. Everytime I turn my back, she's holding him or giving him one of the treats she bought. He laps up the attention purring non stop when she brushes his fur. I can't blame him, I always want her attention too.

My arm started to get tired so I set the ribbon on the ground. Charlie took that opportunity to pounce on it, but he lost traction and slid across the floor hitting the couch with a light thud.

"What was that?" Maya called from the kitchen.

"Oh, it's nothing," I called back. "Charlie just bumped into the couch."

"Is he okay?" She peaked her head from behind the open cabinet. "Did he hurt himself?"

"He's fine," I assured her. Charlie shook it off and went back to wrestling with the long ribbon like it never happened.

Maya watched him carefully. "Okay, just make sure he doesn't get stuck under anything."

She's such an overprotective cat mom. "I will."

After making sure Charlie was safe, he'd dragged his ribbon into his cat tree and was having a blast, I went into the kitchen where Maya was. She was putting the last of her dishes away; she struggled to put a cup on a high shelf.

"Here, I got it." I grabbed the cup from her hand and set it on the shelf with ease.

"Thank you," she said turning to face me.

"You're welcome." I placed my hands on her arms holding her close.

"What are you doing today?" She asked me. "Are you going to paint my car?"

"No, I'm actually going to take a break today."

She looked surprised. "A break?"

"Yes," I laughed, smoothing out the wrinkle between her brows with my thumb. "Is that a problem?"

"No-no, of course it's not. You deserve a break," she said. "What are you going to do on your day off?"

"I told Marcus and Sam I'd hang out with them. I feel like I haven't seen them in forever." We'd see each other at school but we haven't hung out since the beginning of the school year. It was about time I fill them in on everything.

"I understand. Tasha, Nia, and Lavender are coming over later. I haven't hung out with them in weeks," she explained.

"Looks like we both have a full day," I said. I crashed here last night, I've been crashing here the last few nights actually. Since school's been out it hasn't made sense to leave since I'm here so late some nights. And Maya let's me sleep on the couch. Not that I wouldn't mind joining her in her bedroom, but we're not there yet and I'm not going to rush it.

She wrapped her arms around my waist. I noticed she was only comfortable being intimate like this when we were in private. For instance, when we got breakfast and I held her hand she flinched, and when we went to the grocery store yesterday; I went to put my arms around her and she moved away so fast I almost fell flat on my ass. "Will you be back later?"

"If I'm not there too late," I told her. "His mom always ask me to stay for dinner. I might be able to come over after that."

"Okay," she said. "Just let me know."