Chapter 14: Nick

"Hey! Hey, Nick, wait up!"

Sam jogged to catch up to me in the hallway. Marcus wasn't too far behind him.

"Is it going to be like this the whole semester, me rushing to catch up with you?" he asked once we were together.

Marcus came and stood next to Sam. "I know you don't have that many classes, but are we ever going to see you?"

I ran a hand through my hair. "I'm sorry, I'm just busy trying to get Maya's car finished in time to put in my application to the Kennedy Institute. But we'll hang out, I promise."

Sam raised his eyebrows. With a smirk, he said, "Maya..now it all makes sense why you're in such a hurry."

"Stop it, Sam," Marcus warned him.

"I haven't even done anything," he said. "But I think lover boy here is using this as a way to get close to Maya."

I didn't deny it. "Shut up."

"You two seemed to be getting pretty close at her apartment. Is this going to be a thing, you two?" he asked, nosey as ever.

"I--I don't know," I answered honestly. I would like for it to be, or I at least want a chance.

"Nia said Maya doesn't like getting close to people, so if she's letting you into her personal space that must be a good sign," said Marcus. We were talking about some pretty deep stuff last night. The things she said about her mom, reminded me so much of my dad, I've never met someone who gets that before. I found myself wanting to talk to her all night, but she had to leave.

"See I told you you'd meet someone at your party," Sam gloated.

Marcus said to him, "He'd already met her before."

He rolled his eyes, "You knew what I meant. But I'm glad you've actually gotten the courage to talk to her instead of just staring at her like a stalker."

I feel like he meant that as a compliment. "Thank you, Sam," I said hesitantly. "I should get going." I needed all the time I could get on Maya's deathmobile. "Wish me luck."

"Good luck, friend," smiled Sam.

Once I'd left school I stopped by the gas station and grabbed a Red Bull. Surprisingly, I got an hour of sleep last night, but I still felt a little drowsy. Since I would be working outside I grabbed a bottle of water as well.

Pulling into Maya's apartment complex, I parked next to the car that would haunt my thoughts for the next two months. I looked at it long and hard before going upstairs. From the outside it didn't look any worse than the other projects I had done, but the inside...it made me question my abilities. Maya asked me if I would punk out, and I was quick to say no, but deep down I was scared that I wouldn't be able to complete this project.

I shook my head. I couldn't let myself get discouraged before I even started. Once I got upstairs, I flipped her welcome mat over to search for the key she said she would leave. I found the small silver key hidden in the corner.

Picking up the key, I unlocked the door and stepped into her empty apartment. It was weird being in here without her. I felt like I was intruding somehow. I am glad that she gave me a spare key, because I needed to change my clothes.

I took my backpack in the bathroom with me. Something that I noticed about Maya is that she is very clean. I first noticed this on moving day, she was constantly picking up after us, and when we were finished eating she didn't waste anytime picking up our trash.

After I got changed into an old white t-shirt and the same jeans from yesterday I went back into the living room. I noticed the card I had gotten her. She stood it on her dresser next to the three little plants that Lavender had given her. I smiled seeing it there, so she did like it. I thought maybe she was just being nice.