Chapter 38: Nick

When Maya said we were going to visit her friend Maggie I imagined someone our age. Or someone close to it at least.

But I never would have expected a seventy-year-old woman.

Granted, Maggie doesn't look like any seventy-year-old I've ever met. She has purple hair and wears excessive amounts of blue eyeshadow for crying out loud. I guess the antique shop should have tipped me off, but a young person could own an antique shop. Hipsters love antiques.

Overall I do like her. She's very sweet and inviting. When Maya went in search for her set of cherry printed plates, she asked me to stay behind and help her put some things on a tall shelf for her.

"Is this the last one?" I asked as I put the last angel figurine on a high oak shelf.

"I think so," she replied, "A customer brought them in a while ago. She said they belonged to her mother, or maybe it was her grandma. I can't remember, but she was a real sweet lady, she brings stuff in all the time."

"Maggie, do you work here by yourself?" I can't imagine it's safe for her to be moving this heavy furniture by herself.

"My husband used to work here too, but he passed away a few years ago. It's just been me ever since."

"You don't have any kids or anything?" There has to be someone that could help her manage this place. And she must get lonely being here all alone.

She shook her head. "Nope. Kids weren't for me. Don't get me wrong, I love their fat little faces but they just weren't for me."

So she has no husband and no kids...

"Don't worry, handsome, if I need help with things I have someone I can call," she laughed. She patted me on the shoulder making the stacks of bracelets on her wrist jingle. "I'm not going to break any bones trying to lift anything."

I smiled, bashfully, "Sorry, if I'm asking you too many personal questions."

"It's okay, sweetie, I don't mind." She stashed away a few boxes in a cabinet. "Maya was the same way. She thought I was a serial killer or something."

"I'm not surprised," I laughed.

On the other side of the room, Maya sat on the floor rifling through boxes searching for those damned plates. Though she said she was looking for that specific set I saw her starting to form a pile of other dishes next to her.

"You make her happy," Maggie mused, watching Maya dig through another box. Her back was to us, so she couldn't see us staring. That was probably for the best, she hates it when people stare at her.

"Me?"

"Yes, she might not admit it to you," she smiled. "But I can see that you make her happy."

"She makes me happy too," I admitted to her. She makes me blissfully happy.

"Do you love her?" she asked, peering up at me. She's so small, like a fairy or a dwarf.

"Very much."

"That's wonderful." She gave my hand an affirming squeeze. "Have you told her?"

"Yes." Multiple times, actually.

"And what was her response?"

"Not good at first," I chuckled. "But she came around eventually. She only lets us say it twice a day though." I wish I would have never agreed to that stupid rule.

Maggie laughed, "I'm not surprised by that at all. I'm glad she has someone like you to show her love and affection. She deserves someone like that."