Are You Breaking Up With Me?*Jace

Jace shifted nervously in his seat. Sitting across from him at Taki's was a normal thing we did. Often we went on lunch dates here in between missions.

I tried to talk like I normally would, ignoring his slightly shifty behaviour. Jace had been acting weird lately. I didn't know whether I was being crazy or not so I'd even got Magnus opinion on it and he agreed.

Trying to push negative thoughts aside, I try harder to be normal. I honestly am kind of scared he's going to break up with me. But it makes no sense. We've been dating for 3 years and nothing's changed recently. For me at least.

Maybe he loves someone else?

"You okay?" I didn't even realise I was in a dazed before Jace snapped me out of it.

I blinked a couple times "Yeah um I'll be back in a minute. Need to use the restroom," I excuse myself.

Splashing a little water on my face to calm down, I think about what to do. I pull my phone out and call Magnus.

Ring, ring, ri- "Hell-"

"If you were going to break up with someone where would you do it?" I cut him off, biting my lip.

"Oh um I don't know. Somewhere in public I guess so they'd be less likely to scream?" he guessed.

"That's what I thought," I mumbled, chewing on my lip harder.

"Why? You're not breaking up with blondie are you?"

I sighed "I think it's the other way around."

"You need to talk to him. there's no point calling me about him."

Rubbing my forehead I said "I know I know. Guess I'll talk to you later and tell you how it goes." I hung up before he could reply.

I took a deep breath before I left the restroom, walking back to our usual table. Before Jace says anything I but in "Are you breaking up with me?" with my eyes scrunched shut.

"What?" Jace sounds completely shocked.

I sighed "You've been distant and quiet and it feels like I'm doing all the talking and like you don't want to be here." I ramble.

Jace shakes his head, reaching to grab my hand over the table. "No, I don't. I've just been distracted lately." I nod glumly "Do you want dessert?" Jace's tone does a complete 180 "I've already ordered so-"

"We need to talk about this," I tell him.

"I know, but over dessert,"

"Why? To make it less of a blow?"

"No, I just want to try the new cupcake they have. I think you'll like it,"

"This is more important than cake"

"Not this cupcake"

"I don't want cake!" I yank my hand out of his.

"Bad timing?" I look up to see Kaylee, our waitress, holding a tray.

I look away and I see out the corner of my eye Jace nodding "Uh yeah,"

"Do you still want it or...?" she trails off.

"Yup we still want it," Jace tells her.

I whip my head around to look at her "No we don't."

"Just accept the cupcake!"

"No!"

"I think you'll want it," she cuts us both off, sitting a plate down in the middle. She handed us each a fork before scuttling away. I didn't even look at it.

Sighing, I grab a fork "This better be the best cake I've ever eaten." I tell him.

Jace doesn't even touch his fork, he just slides it over to me. I reach out my fork but stop midway as my eyes land on the cake.

I look up to see Jace isn't in his seat. Instead, he's on the floor on one knee. I look back at the cake and point at it "Is that a...?"

"Yeah," he smiles nervously "Its an engagement ring." He reaches over and grabs the cupcake from the plate holding it out to me "(Y/N) (Y/L/N), I was going to write a sappy proposal speech but that isn't who we are. You'd probably smash the cake in my face." I brought a hand up to cover my mouth "But I know I love you and I hope you love me too. So the real question is...will you become (Y/N) Wayland Lightwood Herondale and make me the happiest person alive?"

"Yes." I nod, barely able to say the words "Yes, I'll even take the ridiculously long name. yes."

Jace grinned the biggest smile id ever seen as he plucked the ring from the cake, wiping some of the icings off before sliding it on my finger.

A few aws and claps began. I looked up to see most of Taki's looking at us and Kaylee holding a phone up, recording us. She walked over to us, stopped the video and said: "I knew you'd want the cake." Before walking away with a grin.

"You thought I was going to break up with you?" Jace laughed.

"I didn't know!" I whinned, smile still on my face.

A Taki's regular, a warlock with blue scales and clothes from the 1920's, looked over from his regular table "I may not like shadowhunters but you two are the cutest couple I've seen in the last 237 years. I wish you well." he tipped his hat.