chapter 8

"What you didn't tell someone was just as debilitating as what you did."

― Jodi Picoult, Handle with Care

______________________

Louis blinked in confusion but otherwise didn't let anything show. He opened the door wider for us, letting enough space for us to pass through.

What surprised me the most was Harry's reaction. I had figured out that he would turn around and yell at me. Or even worse, just leave without another word.

But he didn't do either of that. He brotherly slapped Louis on the shoulder and went inside, as if nothing had happened.

Louis hugged me and I forced a smile on my lips. The waters may be calm for now, but I was certain that Harry wouldn't let this go that easily.

I walked straight into the kitchen and watched the siblings banter. "Go away, Harry. I'm the better cook, I can do this on my own."

Harry laughed good-naturedly at his sister and pinched her in the waist. Gemma swatted his arms away and laughed.

"Zoey, hey!" She greeted me and opened her arms to engulf me in a warm hug.

I smiled at Gemma. She had no idea what was going on. Harry avoided my eyes and sat down at the table.

My mind was urging me to talk to him, but I was aware that this would only cause a scene now. It seemed to me that Harry wanted to at least kind of enjoy this dinner.

He had to talk to me sooner or later, might as well push it off a bit. This way I could at least prepare what I would say.

But what was I supposed to say? I'm sorry for not telling you. Sorry wouldn't fix anything.

To be honest, I had no idea what I would do if I were in his shoes. I'd go crazy and be mad for six weeks straight.

Gemma finished dinner and although it smelled amazing, my stomach was up in knots.

Louis helped her serve us. A plate with steak, gravy, potatoes and leek stood in front me, demanding my full attention.

"It looks perfect," I said at the same time Harry said "amazing, Gemma." My first intention was to smile at him, but Harry looked down at his plate and fiddled with his fork.

I sighed quietly. Hopefully he would let me explain. I sure as hell had a lot of explaining to do.

Instead of punishing both Louis and me with silence, I was the only one who ended up receiving the message. Harry acted as if nothing had happened around Louis.

"Harry once had this girlfriend when he was 16. She lived close to a little lake with a bridge and he decided to lay roses all around it and made a trail to her house," Gemma told me during dinner, smiling at her brother.

"That's romantic," I said, smiling to myself. I didn't dare to look at Harry.

"Right? But when he called her, she said it was too dark outside and stayed at home." Gemma grimaced.

"What?" I nearly choked on my potato. "If I were her, I'd make sure to get my butt down."

"She was a little bitch, anyway. Never liked her." Gemma took a sip of her wine and blew Harry a kiss. I heard his soft laugh and sneaked a peek at him.

His lips were turned up in a smile, his cute dimples were present and his eyes sparkled with humor at his sister's words. As soon as he caught me staring at him, that smile vanished.

I gulped down the meat in my mouth and blinked rapidly, trying hard not to cry.

He just was so ... cold. I had never seen him like this before. All life had disappeared from his eyes when he looked at me.