chapter 21

"Trust dies but mistrust blossoms."

- Sophocles

______________________

"No, no, no!" Lisa shouted, her acute voice ringing through my ears and echoing in my mind.

"Liss, please," I begged, one step away from falling on my knees, even though she couldn't see it through the phone.

"Why would you think I'd tag along?" She asked, incredibility lacing her voice.

I sighed, slumping my shoulders. "I thought you loved me."

"I do, but... Like... I just... No," she stuttered, clearly at a loss for words.

I stopped pacing when I had a perfect view of the kitchen. Harry's back was to me, but I could make out what he was doing. After he had discovered that his cupcakes had, in fact, burned to the point of no return, he was determined to make new ones.

Since I was banned from the kitchen for 'being a distraction,' I had called up Lisa to ask her if she wanted to join Harry, Amelie and me on our little get-together later today.

Yes, it was definitely against my will. Bile had risen in my esophagus when he had suggested it again, indicating that the first mention was actually serious, and not a joke like I had originally presumed.

But, in a huge movement of understanding and acceptance, I had oppressed my jealousy to agree. I had acted as if it hadn't bothered me, but after our last fight, I had promised I would give Amelie a chance.

Doubts evaded my thoughts when he had called her. Yep, they had already exchanged numbers. My only reaction was a small nonchalant smile. Harry had exhaled in relief, glad I wasn't mad.

Personally, I thought I should call my old drama teacher again and demand an A for my acting. He said I didn't have it in me, but the opposite was true.

My saving grace was my best friend. Or at least, she was supposed to be my savor.

"Lisa, you have to come along. I'm gonna jump off a bridge if I'm left alone with them. And what if Harry excuses himself to use the bathroom, wanting us to spend some minutes alone? Fuck, I won't survive that shit!" I told her, keeping my voice low so Harry wouldn't hear.

Lisa sighed into the phone and I could basically hear her thinking about it.

"When and where?" She finally asked.

"Gosh, Lisa, you're the best!" I cheered, happily jumping up and down. My little show didn't go by unnoticed, but I waved Harry off. Shrugging, he returned his attention to the cupcakes.

"Hang on," she stopped my celebration, "I didn't say I'd come along."

"4pm, Starbucks," I reluctantly answered her questions, ignoring her comment.

"Starbucks? Are you serious?"

"It wasn't my idea, obviously. Besides, they serve cake," I told her.

"Didn't Harry just make cupcakes?"

"If you honestly think I'd invite Amelie to my house, you're crazy," I laughed, rolling my eyes at the thought.

"I'll only agree because I love you," Lisa mumbled incoherently. "Yes, my dearest Zoey, I will join you, your lovely dickhead-boyfriend and a strange bitch that I surely won't like any time soon on a little get-together of which I will hate every single second."

"Thank you," I breathed out, a heavy weight falling off my chest. "You're the best."

"I know. See you later," Lisa said and immediately hang up, not waiting for my reply.