chapter 38

"True love stories never have endings."

- Richard Bach

______________________

Panic washed over me as my heartbeat sped up to a pace that was hurting my chest. I couldn't even hear properly due to the blood pulsing in my ears.

I cursed the layout of our house. That was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the silhouettes of my parents through the milky glass door, knowing we were only seconds away from being caught.

Obviously, we weren't really doing anything.

Okay, yes, we were, but we were still fully dressed. However, my parents would surely judge me for running back into Harry's arms the moment he showed up after crying for days on end.

My eyes rushed back to meet Harry's and when I saw the usual calmness in them, mixed with a hint of worry, I knew that I shouldn't care.

Because honestly, what did my parents know about my relationship? What did anyone know about it?

Phoebe and Lisa were the only ones who knew more than everyone else, but even they didn't know what it was like to watch Harry sleep and be showered with the love he was willing to give.

They didn't know about the things we did nor about any of the whispered I love yous we would tell each other in moments of pure passion and emotion.

This was completely between Harry and me, and, feeling his heartbeat against my chest, I knew we would find a way through the dark. We could make it and nothing would tear us apart again.

I had no idea where my confidence was coming from, but it rushed through me in a matter of seconds, while reality around me didn't freeze.

With a gentle push of his shoulders, I hissed "Let me down" only to have Harry react immediately.

My feet landed on the ground just as my father walked in, laughing about something mom had told him. He walked directly to the wardrobe, not noticing that both Harry and I were watching him.

My mom walked in next, but her eyes immediately landed on us. If she suspected what had been going on, she didn't say so.

Even from the small distance I could see the smile on her lips as she looked from me to Harry, and she waved happily at us but made no other move to reveal our not-really-secretive hiding position.

Without thinking about it, I grabbed Harry's arm and pulled him into my room, quietly closing the door behind me and leaning against the wood.

Suddenly, I remembered something from this morning. "Hey, what did my mom say to you when you both were outside today?"

A smile tugged at Harry's lips. "She said she was happy that I'm back."

"That's all?" I doubtfully questioned, knowing there was probably more to it.

"Well, also that she hopes everything will work out because she, and I quote, 'really likes me and that I'm good for you'." His small smile was a full-on grin now.

I rolled my eyes, trying not to sigh. "Yeah, she's always loved you. Bet my father is harder to crack, though."

Harry nodded along to my words. "Yep, he wouldn't even let me in yesterday."

"Can't blame him," I mumbled under my breath, but the sad twinkle in Harry's eyes told me he had heard.

I walked over to my bed and sat down on the edge of it, my feet firmly placed on the ground. Patting the spot next to me, I waited until Harry was sitting as well before I spoke up again.