chapter 23

"We were told we were larger than life, for love floats like the sea; so distant and waving. Bring you closer to me, stay next to me, for love can't keep waiting. It's got no place left to be."

– Cheryl Cole, Raindrops

______________________

Time flew by in the blink of an eye, not stopping once to let me catch my breath.

Before I knew it, the calendar told me it was Wednesday, aka the day my sister finally came back home.

The amount of things that could change within four days was incredible.

First of all, I had gotten a call on Monday. The friendly woman had informed me that my three-year-training would already start on the first Monday in September. That was exactly 12 days from now. With that being said, I had to face reality.

My break was almost over. Lisa was going back to college the same day, her never-ending complaints still ringing in my ears. I had to send her a text every hour to assure her that she would manage without me. After all, she still had her random facts.

I was restless for my new future, wanting nothing more than to finally work with babies. Luckily for me, my training started in the hospital. Working for three weeks and getting the weekends off was a prodigy and I highly appreciated it.

My school schedule was adequate as well, the day starting at 9am and ending at 3:30pm. I wouldn't complain, at least I wouldn't be forced to go to gym class anymore.

There was no denying that I was more than agitated to already start working. I literally couldn't wait any longer, but I knew I had to.

My parents were coming back tomorrow. It had taken some time to figure everything out, but now their airline company had ensured that their flight back to Seattle would definitely be on Thursday, meaning Harry and I really had to pick up my sister and Adrian today.

Harry had told me it was no problem at all, but he hadn't been himself lately. Ever since he went back to work on Monday, he was more tired than ever. Apparently there was some problem with a few prep school teachers which ended up in Harry having to stay longer at work.

Today, his mood was a lot worse than usual. He had come home just five minutes ago and I was already trying to avoid his presence.

"Zoey!" Harry called from the entrance hall.

I hesitantly exited the living room and stopped in front of him. "Yeah?"

He barely acknowledged me, only briefly letting his eyes wander over me. "We need to leave now if we want to make it in time."

I nodded, even though he wasn't looking at me, and grabbed my shoes, quickly pulling them on. Harry impatiently tipped his foot against the floor, the sound echoing through the empty hallway.

"You know, I can just drive on my own," I offered in a small voice. Damn, what was I afraid of? It was only Harry.

"I said I'm going to pick them up, so I will," he shut me up, opening the door and running outside.

I followed hot on his heels, only having half in mind to lock the door. Harry was already in his car, starting the engine before I had even opened the passenger door.

Biting my tongue, I swallowed any harsh words that threatened to escape my mouth. The daggers shooting from Harry's eyes were more than obvious, and I felt like I was under attack.

Any little thing could ignite a fight now, and I was desperately trying to avoid one, knowing it wouldn't end nicely.

Harry didn't even bother to turn on the radio, but let the silence overcome us instead. You could cut the tension with a knife in the little space of his car.