chapter 42

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays."

- Persius

______________________   

Harry's POV

I blinked hard. When I was finally able to open my eyes, I felt myself lying on a bed in a bright room.

The light was nearly blinding me, and it took a few moments until my eyes had adjusted. A thin sheet covered my body. A monitor beeped at my side.

A soft groan escaped my lips. My head hurt and I barely remembered hitting the ground as I fainted.

It didn't take a genius to figure out I was in a hospital. The second time within a year; that had to be a new record for me.

"Harry?" A soft voice called. It was my mum. "Oh, Harry." Sobs followed.

I squeezed my eyes shut for a moment, feeling something deep inside that told me I was forgetting a vital thing.

Flashbacks of the mountain pushed their way to the front of my mind and my eyes opened wide in shock. "Zoey?" I croaked, my voice raspy.

"I'll call a nurse," a deeper voice said, followed by the sounds of footsteps that faded away as a door opened. My dad.

Someone squeezed my hand. I looked down and found a soft, pale one on top of my slightly more tanned one. My eyes followed up the arm until they landed on Gemma's face, taking in her familiar eyes.

"Gem," I whispered, glad to see she was alright.

"Oh, Harry," she repeated our mum's words. "You hit the ground before Louis could catch you. It's only a mild concussion, but the doctor wants to keep you for the night."

I heard her words, but ignored them. "Where is Zoey?"

Gemma avoided my eyes. I looked over to my mum, but she was staring intently at Gemma.

"You need to rest a little while longer, Harry," she said in a soothing voice, squeezing my hand once more.

"Where is Zoey?" I repeated, my voice raising as an awful feeling crept over me.

The door opened and my father walked in, accompanied by a chubby, middle-aged nurse. She gave me a friendly smile, took the clipboard from the end of my bed and noted some things done. "How are you feeling, Harry?"

"Can you tell me what happened to Zoey Clark? She's my girlfriend." I tried to remain calm, but it was hard with the way everyone was avoiding my questions about Zoey.

"Oh dear, focus on yourself first," she replied calmly and turned the small wheel at the infusion running down to the needle on the back of my right hand.

"I just want to know if she's still alive," I pleaded, tears gathering in my eyes.

From the way everyone was dodging giving information about Zoey, I was assuming the worst.

"She's still in surgery, as is your other friend," the nurse finally explained.

"Will she make it?" I asked, closing my eyes as I awaited her answer.

"I have no further information." She patted my hand and left the room, closing the door quietly behind her.

"Zoey is tough, she'll make it," Gemma spoke up, never letting go of my hand. Her other hand started rubbing circles on my shoulder, trying to calm me down. It was only then that I noticed my pulse had picked up a bit.

"There is an officer, who wants to talk to you, waiting outside. We can tell him to leave and come back tomorrow if you want to," dad said after he cleared his throat.