chapter 34

"Trust is like a mirror, you can fix it if it's broken, but you can still see the crack in the reflection."

― Lady Gaga

______________________

The rest of my shift at the hospital seemed to go on forever.

When I thought another hour had passed, it was only five minutes in reality. I couldn't focus on my tasks anymore, even simply watching the babies was too much to ask for.

Emily repeatedly asked me if I was alright, or if I needed to go earlier today.

I dismissed her worry, simply telling her I was just fine.

Getting the rest of the day off didn't sound like a good idea at noon, fully aware that Harry would still be working at that time.

Which made me wonder why he was home last week.

"Shh, it's alright, I'm here now," Emily whispered to a baby, trying to calm the crying girl down. She gently luffed the baby in her arms and walked in small circles. "No need to cry, Kate."

I blinked in surprise, not having noticed Emily's arrival. Had the baby been crying the whole time while I had simply been staring at the list?

"Our shift is over in ten minutes, but you can already leave now," Emily dismissed me with a small smile and kissed the baby's head.

"Okay, thank you," I mumbled and hesitantly put the list on top of the case next to the door where Emily could easily see it.

I basically sprinted down the hallway to the nurses' room, too eager to get rid of my working clothes. Safely locking everything in the little locker Emily had given me, I was already on my way to the parking lot with my phone in my hands when I realized that I had no idea how to get home.

Before I knew what I was doing, my fingers had already dialed home, knowing that my parents were my only hope now.

"Hi Z," mom greeted me after two rings.

"Hi, can you pick me up?" I asked, quickly adding a "please."

"Actually, no. I'm at the car dealer with your dad, we're looking for a second car," she told me, the excitement evident in her voice. I was pretty sure I could hear my father cheer in the background.

"Why the hell are the two of you not at work? Wait, hang on, I called the home phone, how did you pick it up when you're not home?" I had too many questions, but I honestly couldn't care less about the answers.

Fact was; I had no way to get home.

"We took a day off, that's why your sister got the car. And I connected the phone with mine, so I can answer calls when nobody's home," mom calmly explained.

"Uh, okay," I mumbled, biting at the skin around my fingernails. "Is Phoebe still at college?"

"No, she's home. She dropped us off so we can drive home with the new car." I heard the rustling of some papers in the background, soon followed by a string of curses.

"Is everything alright?" I worriedly asked, having recognized my father's voice.

"Your dad cut his finger at the papers he is supposed to sign," mom laughed, not sharing my worry. "Oh Zoey, you're totally going to love this car."

"Yeah, great," I abstractedly commented, already calling my sister in my mind. "I gotta go now, see ya later!" I hung up before mom had a chance to reply.

Only seconds later, I was already ringing my sister.

"Phoebe, pick me up and drive me to Harry's," I demanded as soon as she had answered the phone, not even awaiting her greeting.