chapter 33

“Does it ever drive you crazy just how fast the night changes? Everything that you’ve ever dreamed of is disappearing when you wake up, but there’s nothing to be afraid of. Even when the night changes, it will never change me and you.”

– One Direction, Night Changes

______________________

Monday mornings were better when you didn’t have to get up and be productive.

My alarm clock woke me up before my body was ready to face the new challenge of my life, starting today. It was officially my first day of work, and I couldn’t be less excited.

Somehow I recalled telling Lisa that this would be the start of something new, a new chapter in my life.

Now that I had a job to focus on, I wouldn’t think that much about Harry anymore.

After I had left Gemma at the library a few days ago, I had promised myself I wouldn’t sulk anymore. I was done with Harry, but it was easier said than done. There were too many memories that reminded me of everything I had lost.

I threw my blanket aside, encouraging myself to get over him, for once and for real.

Screaming babies and tons of new knowledge, what else could I want in life?

1 hour and 7 minutes later, I was sitting at the kitchen table and questioned my life choices. Was it really the right decision to drop out of college?

“Zoey, Zoey. My sunshine, my beloved one. The one and only. You are-“ Phoebe walked in, a beaming smile on her lips.

I held up a hand to silence her. “What do you need?”

“Nothing, I’m getting the car but mom told me to drive you to the hospital,” she explained and grabbed a bowl from the cupboard, filling it with milk before she dropped the cereals in it.

I didn’t even blink, too used to her weird habit. “Cool.”

“Aren’t you excited? I’m excited for you. I will change majors, by the way. Psychology is the way!” She happily chatted, ignoring my grimace.

“I already feel sorry for your patients,” I commented, emptying the bowl in front of me.

“Well, I feel sorry for the babies. They’ll be forever traumatized,” she exaggerated, sticking her tongue out.

“You should appreciate my effort. I traumatize babies so they’ll go to you twenty years from now, talking about their awful childhood,” I pointed out and grinned at her as I walked out the door and back down the hallway to brush my teeth.

Phoebe kept her word and drove me good-naturedly to the hospital, happily singing along to the songs on the radio.

“Aren’t you depressed that you have to go back to college?” I asked her cautiously.

“Far from it. I’m excited to see my friends again, and, believe it or not, but I already know that I’ll have Mr. Sanderson in history this year.”

“Praying for you,” I mumbled and watched as she carefully parked the car in a lot close to the entrance.

“Hey, he’s a nice guy. Maybe he will be my patient one day, rambling about how awful you and Lisa were,” my sister laughed, slapping the wheel like a retarded seal.

“He will definitely need therapy after that,” I nodded along to her words and unfastened the seatbelt.

“Have a nice day,” Phoebe called after me but I was already out the door and halfway gone.