chapter 31

"So it's gonna be forever or it's gonna go down in flames. You can tell me when it's over if the high was worth the pain. Got a long list of ex-lovers, they'll tell you I'm insane, 'cause you know I love the players and you love the game."

– Taylor Swift, Blank Space

______________________

When the door shut close behind Amelie, a thousand questions shot through my mind at the speed of lightning.

They were a jumbled mess in my brain, not a single one making actual sense. I was too dumbfounded, too addled to understand what was going on.

Was it possible that anything Amelie had just said was true? Or was it all just smoke and mirrors?

Apparently Harry told her it was a mutual decision to break up. Well, if 'mutual' meant I had no idea what happened up to this day, then yeah, it definitely was one.

But even she had noticed his deranged appearance, that was clearly over by now. He was normal, he had stopped loving me. Had he ever loved me in the first place?

Something just didn't add up. Why would Harry be so hurt over the breakup if he was the one to end things? I would have stayed by his side forever.

It simply didn't make any sense to me. There was no way Amelie was telling the truth. Or maybe it was Harry lying to her. Who knew?

Or maybe I was merely going crazy.

After all, how could I imputed Amelie took my boyfriend away to her? She was engaged, and sometimes friendships started from weird occasions.

"Damn Zo, did you fall asleep?" Lisa joked as soon as the door swung open and nearly sent me into cardiac arrest.

I glared at her, mad she stopped my very unhelpful train of thoughts. "Get lost."

"No dead bodies? Was that Amelie who just walked past me?" Lisa asked, the humor slowly fading from her eyes.

"Let's not talk about it," I requested and made a beeline for the door.

"Will you wait outside?" She asked, walking to a stall.

I nodded and grabbed the door handle, swinging the door open once more. Taking a few deep breaths, I tried to calm myself.

There was no reason to think about any of this anymore, I had to accept the fact that things were over, for good. Harry was done with me and I couldn't let him have a hold of my heart forever.

If he could live his life, then so could I. There would never be an explanation for what had been going on in his head, but some things would forever be unanswered. This was just one of them.

From this exact moment on, I wouldn't even think about him anymore, much less speak his name.

Completely lost in thoughts yet again, I reached for my phone only to realize that I left my purse with the other girls. Drumming the wall in boredom, I waited for Lisa to finish.

A dark figure walked around the corner, but I paid little to no attention.

"Lisa, hurry!" I yelled, fully aware that she was able to hear me. "My hair's already turning grey."

"Shut the fuck up," was all I got as a reply.

Out of the corner of my eyes I saw that the dark figure had stopped moving, now standing close to me but still far enough away to not disturb my personal space.

Only mildly interested, I turned around to look at the person, already about to snap "yes?" but deciding against it in the last second.

If only Lisa had hurried up or if I just hadn't bothered to look.