chapter 18

“It's hard to tell who has your back, from who has it long enough just to stab you in it.”

― Nicole Richie

______________________

I woke up to the sun streaming through my window, warming my face, heating it up until it had the same temperature as my body that was hidden under my blankets.

I wouldn’t say I was greatly confused to wake up like this, but the empty space between me felt weird.

My hand felt around the place Harry slept in the last few days, only feeling the cold. The alarm clock on my bedside table told me it was already past 9am.

A yawn escaped my lips and I outstretched my arms and legs, trying to get rid of my sleepiness.

Only when I put the blanket aside to get out of bed did I notice the piece of paper lying on Harry’s pillow.

Curious and feeling a rush of excitement, I grabbed it and swung it open, revealing Harry’s beautiful handwriting.

My dearest Zoey,

You actually didn’t wake up for once. I guess I’m improving in being silent. Or you were just really, really tired.

Either way, you’re the most adorable girl in the world while sleeping.

Your kissable lips are slightly parted and you clench and unclench your left hand constantly. You also seemed to have a pleasant dream due to the cute smile on your face.

Oh, and sometimes you kick me, but I’ll forgive you because I love you.

One of my sister’s friends got married when they were 19. People were horrified, saying they were too young. Although I never saw myself committed in a serious relationship at this young age, I always used to say ‘When it happens, it happens.’

Seeing you lying next to me, I know it happened.

I hope you’ll have an amazing day and won’t miss me too much. I’ll be home soon, counting every minute until I can hold your beautiful body and kiss your gorgeous face all over.

I love you.

Yours truly,

Harry .xx

A tear was threatening to roll down my cheek, but I wiped it away before it had the chance to.

I quickly made up my mind and rummaged through my drawers until I found an empty frame. Placing the letter inside, I put the frame up on my desk, softly trailing his handwriting over the glass.

It was such a sweet gesture and I really appreciated it. Harry always knew how to make me feel better.

I washed my face and got ready enough to finally walk into the kitchen, nearly screaming at the sight in front of me.

Fresh croissants and chocolate cookies awaited me, begging to be eaten. A full jar of Nutella and several mini Mercis gave the final touch to a perfect breakfast.

I couldn’t muster up in words how much it meant to me to see that Harry left the house, probably at the crack of dawn, to get all those things for me and still make his way to work in time.

He was the best boyfriend I could have ever asked for.

With the smile never leaving my lips and a tab in my mind playing happy music, I walked outside to retrieve the mail from our mailbox.

Flicking through the advertisements and envelops for my parents, I found one that had my name printed on it.

The addressor was our local hospital.