Chapter Six

Chapter Six

"Uh, hi," Louis said, turning back around and continuing on his way before calling back, "I'm Louis!"

"It's good to meet you, Lou! Can I call you Lou?" Sarah asked as she followed Louis' actions and began walking beside him.

"Um, yeah, I guess. That's what Sam and Kara call me," replied Louis without thinking.

"Who's Sam and Kara?"

"Oh." A faint blush graced Louis' face. "They're my friends."

'You only have two friends?'

"No, I have a third. They just insist on travelling in my shirt pocket. Apparently, they like the smell of a man's nipple."

And I'm back.

"Ah, a funny guy. I like it." Sarah snickered. "I'm new here if you were curious."

"I gathered that, considering you're talking to me." The words slipped out of Louis' mouth, and he silently cursed himself for not keeping his mouth shut.

"What does that mean?" Sarah squinted her eyes as she asked the question, looking not so different from a puppy.

"I'm the nerdy kid who has two friends and people pick on. Well, only one friend, if you don't include people who live on the other side of the country." Louis grinned.

He always joked about his situation with people, mainly because it made him uncomfortable. The good news was, not many people cared enough to ask him about it.

"It's ok; you'll get the memo as soon as you get to school."

"I have so many questions right now." Sarah did a little skip to make sure she kept up with Louis as her walking speed couldn't match Louis' long strides.

"What kind of questions?"

"Well, I may have just moved here, and this may be my first day at this school, and I don't want to seem like I'm one to judge a book by its cover..."

"Are you going to actually to ask the questions, or am I going to suddenly start seeing images flash in my mind, like some weird alien movie?"

"Hilarious, Lou." Sarah said, making Louis smile; he was starting to like Sarah already. She had a certain quality about her. Louis couldn't quite pick it, but it was calming. "I just thought, you know... that you'd be the bully."

Louis howled with laughter but managed composed himself as Sarah just stared at him.

"Well, I am a horrible person, Sarah, but I don't bully people. I just retaliate." Louis smiled at her. "And, if you thought I was a bully, why did you approach me?"

Sarah shrugged before looking at Louis and winking. "Taking a chance to get with a bad boy."

Louis let out another howl of laughter.

"Even if I was a bully, you're still barking up the wrong tree."

"What? Why?" Sarah couldn't help but let out a small laugh.

"There's nothing straight about me. I don't even own a ruler."

"Really? My gosh, you're full of surprises. Don't tell me; you're also a model student with perfect grades?"

"Clearly, you've got me all worked out now." Louis smiled again.

"Oh, my God, really? Jesus, what kind of human are you?" Sarah let out another laugh.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You're six-foot-God-knows-what. You're hot as hell. You look like a jock who plays football, and you look more masculine than my brother, who, to be honest, and I will never compliment him again, is pretty jacked. But you're a straight-A student, apparently have no friends, and are gay. You make no sense."