Chapter 5

We reach the café within a few minutes, talking and reminiscing about old stories. Once we are at the front of the line, Chelsea takes our order; seven vanilla lattes and two blueberry muffins for Niall. We put them onto the holding tray and walk back to the classroom, continuing to get to know each other. 

Liam hands out the lattes while I go to Louis and stand behind his chair. I gently shake his shoulders and he hastily looks up over his shoulder. 

I hand him his latte, making sure he wouldn't drop it, "Drink this; it's a vanilla latte, and it's kind of hot, so be careful so you don't burn yourself." 

He mumbles a thank you before taking a sip, placing it down on the desk in front of him, keeping his hand wrapped around the lid.

I help Liam hand out the rest of the lattes, then take mine and Paul's. I hand Paul his and take my seat, drinking the heated liquid, feeling it warm my throat and stomach.

The rest of the day passes in a fly. The boys are all finally awake and interacting with the class. They seemed to especially like the Criminal Investigation class; Mr. Schmidt decided to take it easy for them so they could participate in the class.

I soon find out that Paul parked next to me in the parking lot. How he knew what my car looked like, I'm not sure, but I'm not complaining. 

"How come you're already leaving campus? It's only noon." Zayn asks as we walk through the halls towards the parking lot.

"Well, when I signed up for classes, I only signed up for morning classes. And I have different classes on different days, so everything actually works out really well."

All of a sudden, Samantha walks around the corner. She had been acting weird lately, and not talking in class like she used to, and I was slightly worried. I motioned for the boys to stay there and approached her slowly, making sure to keep eye contact with her. 

"Sammy? Hey, what's going on?" I ask gently, reaching out as I walk towards her. 

She's shaking, holding something behind her back. I see a police officer approaching her from behind, and I know immediately that something bad happened; she most likely had something to do with it.

A look of anger flashes across her face when she sees me block her path. 

"Get out of my way." She stammers, anger clouding over her voice.

"I don't think I can do that, Sammy. Now tell me what happened." I put my arm out in front of me, putting something in between me and her.

She shakes her head, a look of desperation crossing over her delicate features. I motion to Paul to get the boys to back up and out of the corner of my eye, I see him do just that with the help of Mrs. Young.

"Sammy, I'm your friend. Remember?"

She nods her head, tightening her grip on whatever is behind her back. I motion for the officer to stay put and he does, not keeping his eyes off of her. 

"Alright, now let me help you out of this, okay? You're my friend. You will always be my friend, right?" She nods again.

 I don't lose eye contact, speaking gently to her, to not make her any angrier. 

"Friends tell each other things, right? So, tell me what happened. Let's talk, like friends do. Tell me what happened, Sammy." 

I use the nickname I heard her sister give her one day. She seems to crumple under my gaze, kneeling onto the ground and beginning to cry, dropping the object behind her back.

I move slowly towards her, motioning for the officer to do the same. I kneel down in front of her and begin to talk to her again, trying to keep her from getting herself any deeper.

"Sammy, it's going to be okay." I place my hand onto her shoulder and she leans into me, crying into my shoulder. 

The officer grabs the object, a bloody kitchen knife, and places it into an evidence bag. 

"But Sammy, you do know what's about to happen, right?" 

She leans back off of me, desperation clouding her once-hopefuleyes. She begins to panic and breathe faster, 

"But we're friends . . . right? You said we were friends! Don't do this to me!" I sigh, placing my hand on her shoulder. 

"I'm sorry doll, but there's nothing more I can do." I smile sadly at her, "It's time to go."

She shakes her head, beginning to panic more. She reaches behind her to grab the knife, but when she sees its not there, she turns spins around on her knees. I stand up, not sure how she is going to react. 

"YOU SON OF A BITCH!" 

She lunges at him and I grab her forearms, holding her back from getting to him. Another officer shows up and takes her from me, putting her up against the wall and handcuffing her. The officer reads her the Miranda rights as he leads her to the squad car.

The officer that was there originally walks to me, shaking my hand. 

"Thank you. That could have ended so much worse if you did not interfere. She could've panicked and stabbed someone else." 

I nod my head at him, "I knew by looking at her that something wasn't right; I just did my part to help out." I shake his hand and walk back to Paul and the boys, who look shocked at what just happened. 

"Are – are you alright?" Harry stammers, wide-eyed at the situation that unfolded in front of him. 

Paul gives me a once-over, looking to ensure that I have no injuries. 

"No, I'm fine, guys. A lot of people can handle the stress that college puts on them. I guess Samantha was one of the few that couldn't. I just wish I could've been there earlier; I wish I would've noticed she was struggling." I sigh, rubbing my hands over my face. 

"Are you going to have to stay for questioning?" Paul asks. "No; if they need me, they can contact me through the school. Now, I believe that was enough drama to last us all a lifetime. Let's get to the cars and out to the cabin."

At the parking lot, I look at the boys. "I need to run to my place first to pack some stuff. Paul, just follow me there with the van." 

Paul nods and the boys all get into his van while I get into my car. I place a Pop Cd into my car's cd-jack and let the audio play through, pulling out of the parking lot with them on my tail.