Chapter 16

Panting, we take a breath. I rest back against a tree, leaning my head back against it. I lean myself down to sit down on the ground, seeing Zayn approach and sit down next to me. 

"You know....... Never mind." Zayn stops himself from continuing. 

"No, what were you going to say?" I ask, still looking at the lake ahead of us.

"That girl was going to kill you." He says. I frown, looking over at him. Before I can say anything, he continues to speak. 

"She had a knife behind her. If that officer didn't grab it, and she grabbed it first, she would have stabbed you. You could be dead right now, instead of sitting here with me."

I frown, taking his hand in mine. 

"Don't talk like that, Zayn. You have to understand that this is my job. I am paid to put myself in danger to protect the lives of others. I was trained to deflect situations like this. If I didn't react like I did and get her to calm down, she could have hurt someone else, and possibly even herself. I recognized that she was not in the proper mental state, and if I said the wrong thing, she could've snapped. But I also had to trust the other guys to do their jobs. I trusted that police officer to grab her weapon before the situation escalated." I say. He grasps my hand; I rub my thumb soothingly across the top of his hand, calming him down.

He twists his body to face me and I wrap my arms around him, pulling him into a hug. He buries his face into my shoulder, beginning to cry. I feel his running down his cheeks, beginning to dampen my shirt.

I comfort Zayn as best as I can until he finally is able to stop crying. He slowly lifts himself up, sitting cross-legged in front of me. 

"You do know what you are to me, right? My tattoo. I read the manuscripts. It can only mean one thing; we're mates. Your name is tattooed on my back in Latin, and I'm guessing that mine is on your back as well." He says, looking back and forth between my eyes. 

"At first when I saw the tattoo, I thought it was only because I was the only member in the pack until you guys came along, but I figured it meant something more. That's what I was researching at the lake. I was researching the Latin names, wondering what exactly they meant. I found out it was actually all of your guys' names, not only yours. Are you one hundred percent sure that this means we're mates?"

"I don't' know; I don't' know if you're only my mate or if you're everyone else's as well, but all I know is that I've never felt this way about anyone before."

Zayn reaches his hand forward, cupping my cheek. He rubs his thumb along my cheek, brushing it across my bottom lip. We both lean in, his lips pressing gingerly against mine.

It was like sparks went off; the sensation sent butterflies around my stomach. I reach my hand around, to the back of his neck, slightly tugging on the pieces of hair. He moans lightly into my mouth, lightly sliding his tongue across my bottom lip. In order to be a tease, I don't open my mouth to let him gain access.

He slides his hands down to the curve of my lower back, then onto my hips. He squeezes my butt, causing me to slightly open my mouth. He grins, slipping his mouth inside, battling for dominance in which he immediately won.

Slowly, Zayn leaned me back; I lay down on the soft, slightly damp grass as Zayn lay in between my legs, one of his arms lay by my head, keeping him from placing all of his weight on me, while the other swam up and down my side.

We stayed in this position for a little while, until the loss of breath got too much for both of us and we separated. Zayn placed his forehead against mine; I feel his heavy breathing on my lips, only centimeters apart from his. 

"Mate," he whispered almost inaudibly; "Mate," I responded immediately, giving him a peck on his lips.

He smiled brightly and stood up, pulling me up off the ground with him. He pecked me on the lips and shifted, signaling for me to do the same. We run back to the cabin, playfully jumping around, zipping between the trees.