Chapter 44

I sigh, rubbing my hand down my face as I walk down the stairs, seeing most of the mess is already cleaned up. Liam walks out of the kitchen, a dustpan and broom in his hands. I flip over the couch, setting it back where it should be. I hang a large tapestry piece up where the hole in the wall is, covering up any cracks.

Once both the living room and kitchen are clean, we go downstairs, getting started on that room. I clean up the glass while Liam throws away the wooden frames, placing the pictures onto the end table. I grab some cleaning detergent and quickly clean up the blood, luckily able to get it all out before it stained. I tack the pictures onto the wall instead, not bothering to get new frames. 

"Alright, there is a study on the first floor. We can go there to make a plan," I say and walk up the stairs, hearing him follow me.

I lead him into the study, shutting the door behind us. I roll out a map onto the large wooden table, using pieces of tape to hold it in place. I put a red dot on the map, marking where the cabin is, then place another where the other wolf pack is, and another where the cave is. I put red x's at the places we've encountered the rogues, mapping out a potential area where they could be hiding out, but I won't know for certain until I look. I walk out of the room, leaving Liam sitting in the chair, pondering over the map. 

I step outside, looking around for any sign of where they may have gone.

I spot something on the ground leading towards the field. I walk over to it and pick it up, examining it. It's Zayn's bracelet. I clutch it in my hands, drawing an imaginary line from the door to here. It's directly aligned with the large amounts of tracks leading through the field.

I rush back inside, marking on the map roughly where I found Zayn's bracelet. I draw a line from the door to there, then continue the line. It leads due north. That's the way they went. 

"They knew the boys were weak and hurt, not able to follow them, so why bother taking an indirect course! They went north." I say, looking up at Liam. 

"How did you figure that out?" He asks, looking at me. I hand him Zayn's bracelet, seeing his eyes widen. 

"He dropped this just before the field started. He wanted to leave a sign of where they went, and he left a damn good one. I'll be back in about an hour. I'm going to find out where the base is, and come back. And no, you cannot come with me. I need you here to protect the boys. If another ambush shows up and you're not here, they will all be killed." I say, walking out of the room and up the staircase. 

I enter my room quietly, not wanting to wake Louis, and walk over to the closet. I grab out a pair of ripped black skinny-jeans and a black tank-top. I shed my clothes, slipping them on quickly. I put my hair up in a high pony-tail and slip on my combat boots. I place my gun into my holster and I'm about to walk out of the room when I hear a noise from behind me. I turn around to see Louis sitting up in bed, looking at me. 

"You're going after him, aren't you?" he asks, looking at my attire. 

"I'm going to find their base. I'm not going directly after Zayn; I know I will not be able to save him alone. However, if the opportunity arises for me to get Zayn back safely, then yes, I will." I say, walking back towards the bed and sitting down on the edge.

Louis pulls me to his chest, wrapping me into a hug. He leans his head back, his eyes flickering from my eyes down to my lips. He leans in, pressing his lips against mine. I kiss him back, and a few seconds later, he pulls back, looking me in the eyes. 

"Please, just be careful. Don't get yourself taken too," he says, his fingers caressing my cheek. I kiss him once more, getting up and walking out of the room, shutting the door behind me.

I walk down the stairs to see Liam leaning against the wall by the door, looking over at me. 

"Please be careful, love." He whispers, looking down at me through his teary eyes. I press my lips against his, savoring the moment. He pulls back and pulls me into a hug, kissing my cheek. 

"Please be careful." He says once more, releasing me from his arms. I smile sadly at him, walking through the doorway and towards the stable. I saddle up Jaren, a Barb Horse, the fastest we have, and ride out of the stable, seeing Liam standing in the doorway, watching me.

I look down at where I found the bracelet, then further into the field. 

"Alright, boy. Which way did they go," I say to the horse, taking a deep breath, trying to find any familiar smells. Then, I smell it. The warrior's scent from the other pack house. Clay, the one who attacked me, who was supposed to be executed must have escaped. He was part of this. I kick at Jaren's sides, starting to gallop as I follow the scent through the field, not looking back.