Chapter 12

Thinking it could be one of the boys, I look around the room, noticing how every single one of them is still asleep. I get up from my place on the floor, unwrapping myself from Louis and Zayn's arms. 

I hear Liam start to stir as I creep towards the end-table, opening the secret compartment in the drawer and pulling out the handgun, a Glock 26 9mm pistol, and checking the round and making sure it's loaded. 

"Sarah, what's going on?" Liam asks, sitting up and noticing the gun in my hands. 

"There's someone downstairs. Quietly wake up the boys and get them upstairs. Board yourselves up in one of the bedrooms, do not open until I give you the all clear." I instruct, creeping towards the staircase. 

Liam does as I say; I hear him waking up the boys, ushering them up the stairs. I turn the safety off of the gun and creep down the steps, avoiding the steps that I know creek if any pressure is put on them.

I set myself in the doorway, rotating around each side to make sure it's all clear before advancing. I hear the noise again; it's coming from the living room, where my uncle has his safe. 

I creep towards the room, keeping my gun raised in front of me. Sneaking to the entrance to the room, I lean around the corner, seeing exactly who I expected to see: Nick, my 'Uncle's' nephew. He probably heard that Uncle Mark was out of town, but did not hear that the boys and I would be staying here. 

I cock my gun, and Nick freezes, hearing the sound from behind him. He reaches for his pocket, but stops when I speak up. "I wouldn't do that if I were you." I say. "Now slowly, turn around and put your hands over your head, Nick."

He does as I instruct, raising his hands into the air. I walk closer, grabbing the gun he has pocketed and sliding it across the hardwood floor behind me. 

I grab my phone and speed-dial 911, placing the phone between my right shoulder and ear. I tell the dispatch to send a squad car here, that there has been an intruder. I place my phone down on the ground. I grab a pair of zip-tie handcuffs from the table. "Against the wall." I demand.

He does as I say; I place the zip-tie handcuffs around his wrists, tightening them until I am sure that he cannot get out. I lead him up the stairs, grabbing the gun from the ground and putting it in my back pocket. 

I sit Nick down on the couch just as a police officer shows up at the door. He comes inside and I holster my gun, handing him my I.D.

He questions me and I tell him exactly what happened: how Nick broke into this house, thinking that my Uncle was overseas and there wouldn't be anyone here, and failed to notice that me and the people I'm being hired to protect were asleep upstairs. 

That Nick made a noise which woke me up, and I had the boys hide upstairs. I went downstairs, stopped Nick, and called dispatch. He brought Nick to the squad car, taking the gun Nick had apparently stolen from another house with them as evidence. After the squad car drove off, I went upstairs to find the boys.

Walking around to the different rooms, I ended up by Liam's room. Knocking on the door, I tell the boys it's all clear and they can come out now. One by one they leave the room, all asking what happened. 

I explain what happened to them and before I can even react, I am pulled into a group hug. "I was just so worried. I mean, we didn't know what was going on or if you were okay or not," Niall rambled and I pulled him into a hug. 

"Hey, I'm getting paid to do this, remember? This is my job; I have to know what to do in situations like this. I'm okay, I swear. He didn't touch me." I say, rubbing my hands on his back in an effort to calm him down. 

Niall always had been one of the more sensitive members of the group, which is why the boys always did their best to protect him. He was their baby.

Releasing everyone from the hug, I suggest having some breakfast. Harry offers to cook, and Louis says he'll assist him. As they head towards the kitchen, I let them know I'm gonna' go and change clothes. 

I go into my room, picking out a pair of ripped jeans and a sweater strung together across the middle (see picture at top). I take a quick shower, then change into the clothes. I walk downstairs, seeing everyone grabbing food from the counter. I grab myself some pancakes and eggs, sitting down between Zayn and Niall.

We eat in a comfortable silence. I begin to think about everything. The fact that I am no longer a singular pack member. I wonder who their mates are going to be. Speaking of pack, we really need to get training. Once the other packs catch wind that there are officially more members in the pack, they might try and pull something. We need to be ready.