Chapter 7

After I get the ingredients mixed and cooking on the stove, I hear someone walk into the room. It was Louis. 

"Hey Lou, what's up?" I ask, leaning back against the counter. 

"I just wanted to say thank you again, you know, for letting us stay here. Things have just been kind of intense lately around us. Management have been extra pushy, and as much as we love the fans, it's been extra intense lately. We really needed this."

I nod understandingly and continue to stir the sauce. 

"Of course. You guys are always welcome here. Can you tell the boys that dinner will be done in five?" 

He nods his head and gives me a quick hug and a peck on the cheek, walking back into the living room to be with the rest of the boys. I quickly finish dinner, placing the spaghetti on six plates. I put each plate at a spot on the island, setting up the silverware next to each plate. 

I call the boys in and they each take a seat, leaving me the spot between Harry and Zayn. We eat in a comfortable silence. After a day like today, especially with what happened in the hallway with Samantha, silence is the best thing.

"So, we were thinking about having a movie night tonight. We could bring a bunch of blankets and pillows into the living room and watch a few movies and relax. I have a feeling we all need to relax, especially you, after what happened in the hallway with that girl." Liam says, spinning some spaghetti noodles around his fork before stuffing them into his mouth. 

"Yeah, that would be great. Why don't you guys set up the living room while I clean up the dishes?" I suggest. 

They nod, and once they are all done eating, leave to go and prepare the living room. I heat up a large container of popcorn on the stove and start doing the dishes.

The warm water feels good on my hands, somewhat de-stressing me. I scrub the sauce off of the dishes and put them in the rack to dry. 

Wiping off my hands with a washcloth, I enter the living room to see they had already chosen a movie and had everything set up. I take a spot on the ground covered in fluffy blankets, sitting between Harry and Louis.

"Love?" Harry whispers in my ear as the movie begins to play. I look at him, crinkling my eyebrows, signaling for him to continue. 

"Mrs. Young, your professor, said that there was something you would have to tell us when you were ready. She said that it was something about you, or rather something that you are...? We really weren't sure what she meant, but she said that you would have to tell us when you were ready." 

I sighed. I knew that she would bring this up. It's nothing that I do anymore, but they do deserve to know. 

"Maybe we could talk in private, really quick." I whisper to him. He nods, standing up, motioning for me to follow. I know that the boys are watching as we step outside, but I don't pay any mind to them. Only to the fast beating of my heart and my shaking fingertips.

We sit down on the steps, looking out to the field and I sigh, knowing I would have to get this over with. "Now, before I explain what I am, you should know that I had no control over this. It's a genetic predisposition, as you would call it. My parents were both, well, what I am, and when I was born, I became one also." 

"Became one? What are you?" He asks, frowning, looking over at me. Taking a deep breath, I say the one thing I never thought I would have to tell anyone in a while: 

"I'm a shifter."

Harry pauses, the wheels spinning in his head. "What, you mean like ... a werewolf?" He asks. 

"Well, werewolf is the wrong term. I don't get a lot taller and just get really hairy. I can, if I want to, shift into a wolf. It's something I haven't done for a long time, though. Not since my pack-" 

I stop. I can't finish that sentence. I hear someone behind me speak up, "Not since your pack what?"

I don't even turn around. I know the rest of the boys are standing there, listening to me talk. 

"My father was the Alpha of the Moonlight Pack. Meaning, ever since I was born, I was trained to be the pack's lead warrior, and I was. One day, I was out on a run when I got a mind-link from my father that they were being attacked, and not to come back to the camp. But I ignored him, and I went. A large group of rouge wolves, or wolves without a pack, had combined forces and attacked. By the time I got there . . . everyone was already dead." I explain, rubbing my fingers through my hair. 

"So, what did you do?" Louis asks. I hear him kneel down behind me and the others do the same. 

"I ran. I ran like hell, and ended up here. The man who owns this place isn't really my uncle, but I consider him one. He took me in, gave me shelter and food until I got back on my feet again. It may not be biological, but he is my only family." I lean my head on the railing, looking out into the field.

The boys surround me in a group hug, Harry pulling me to his chest, since he is the closest. Once we are out of the hug, the boys begin to ask more questions. 

"So, when's the last time you shifted?" Niall asks. They all nod in agreement, thinking the same thing. 

"It's been around a year since I have shifted." I answer them. 

"Is it painful? How do you turn someone?" Zayn asks. 

"Well, shifting is not at all painful. And to turn someone, you have to be on that pack's territory with the alpha, and it has to be on the mountain, which there is one in every pack's territory, and it has to be exactly midnight. The alpha has to put a stone from that mountain in your hand, and you lay on the top and close your eyes. Then the transformation starts. If it works, a bunch of light rays, commonly called the northern lights, will appear overhead. Then, the transformation happens; a person's first transformation into a wolf. That's when you first find out what your wolf will look like, the scent, and a few other things." I explain to them.

A somewhat awkward silence ensues; no one knows where to pick off from next until Louis breaks the silence.

"Well, why don't we go and finish that movie night? It's been one hell of a night." Louis says. 

We all nod, standing up and going to watch the movie that the boys put on. And of course, they had to pick one of my favorite movies: Grown Ups 2. I soon find myself falling into a deep sleep on the blanket-mattress, my heart feeling less heavy now that I've told them my secret.