Chapter 31

(bedroom pictured above)

I wake up out of a deep sleep a few hours later. I glance at my phone and touch the screen to see that it is only five o'clock in the morning. 

I carefully move out of Liam's arms, as to not wake him, walking out of the door and down the steps into the kitchen. Grabbing a cup from the cupboard, I fill it with water from the tap, taking a drink.

As I'm drinking the water, a pair of arms wrap around my waist, their lips placing small kisses on the nape of my neck. Liam. 

"I'm sorry I woke you up; I knew I wouldn't be able to fall back asleep," I say, taking another drink of water. 

He doesn't speak, just continues his work on my neck, sucking and lightly biting in some places, but not enough to leave a mark. I smile, shaking my head and placing down my cup.

Then I smell it. That scent; it's not Liam's, and the rest of the boys don't know where I am. This is not my mate. 

The memory of the field hits me like a truck; the rogue that managed to get away after almost killing Niall. It's him.

I quickly spin around, taking the person by surprise as I kick their abdomen. They clutch it as they fell to the ground and groaned. I look at their face: it's the lead warrior, Clay. 

"Liam was right; we should've got the hell out of here last night," I say, walking towards the stairs.

After what just happened with someone that I trusted completely, I'm on edge. A hand grabs me and spins me around, pinning me against the wall. He grabs my hands with his one, pinning them above my head. 

"You do know what was supposed to happen, don't you? We were going to get married. But then, of course, the day you were set to find out about our prearranged marriage, the rogues wanted to attack. I said no, that they had to wait a little bit longer; if I had you in my arms, I would have easy access to your pack, and find a better time. They disagreed. You remember that day, don't you? You had just been called into your father's office and all of a sudden, you heard shouting." He says, grinning evilly. 

"I knew there was a damn rat," I spit on his face. He wipes it off of his cheek, his eyes darkening. 

"You should not have done that, little mate." He places his hand on my throat, raising me up from the ground.

"You were supposed to be MY mate, not theirs. MINE." He growls, tightening his grip around my throat. 

If I don't get out of here, he's going to kill Liam and the others. I need to get free. I act as if I'm not struggling at all, to which he smirks. 

"I knew you couldn't be their best warrior when I laid my eyes on you. You don't even know how to fight back," He says, smirking up at me. 

I smirk, slowly bringing my legs to my chest and kicking forward with all of my might. He drops me roughly on the ground as he flies back against the opposite wall, making a huge noise. The Alpha comes down the stairs and sees me on the ground. He reaches his hand down to help me stand, which I take gratefully, glaring over at Clay.

"What in god's name is going on here!" He shouts, looking between the two of us. 

"Sir, you have had a rat in your ranks since I was born; I am surprised you're just now seeing it," I say, rubbing my tender neck, which is surely starting to bruise by now.

"IT'S HER! She's the rat! The informant that got her own pack killed!" the warrior shouted, trying to twist the blame onto me. 

"If that were true, why would we be being attacked now? My mate was hurt because of you, you son of a bitch. I was almost killed!" I shout, slacking my shoulders back. 

"Oops?" he says, smirking and admitting blame. 

The Alpha calls some other warriors, who immediately detain the rat, then he turns to me. 

"Are you okay?" he asks, placing his hand gingerly on my neck. I flinch back, feeling the pain instantly. 

"Yes, I will be fine; just don't let him escape. I'm going to wake up Liam and get going. We'll be in touch soon." I say, turning and jogging up the stairs. 

I make a detour into the bathroom, observing my neck. There is a clear handprint around my neck, which will be impossible to hide, so there is no point in trying. I take a washcloth, wet it under the faucet and gently dab it against my tender flesh, wincing as the pain increases. I take a painkiller and walk into the bedroom Liam and I are staying in.