Chapter 17

On the way home, I smell something. Letting myself slightly fall behind Zayn, I slow to a stop, smelling the scent, trying to figure out what it was. Zayn hadn't noticed that I wasn't behind him, so he kept running down the trail. I inhaled deeply, digging my claws into the ground. 

I followed the scent to a field just east of the trail, looking around. It was dark now, so it was harder to spot whatever the scent came from. Before I could even react, something rammed into my side and sent me flying, my rib slamming into a nearby tree. I whined in pain, crawling back onto my feet, looking for my attacker.

It was another wolf, but it wasn't just any wolf. It was one of the ones that killed the rest of my pack. My eyes widen in fear, the hair on the back of my neck standing up as I growled, baring my teeth. 

"Who are you? What do you want?" I growl through the mind-link, my eyes flashing around the area, making sure he's the only one there. If there is only one wolf, I can take him. But a rustling in the bush to my left makes my hope fade; another wolf, a rogue, steps out from behind the bush, baring its teeth at me.

I can't take the both of them, and if more show up, I'm dead. I need backup. I need to make it back to the cabin, and get to the boys. I start shifting my weight on my feet, continuing to check around me in case any more show up. 

"We're here to finish what we started. You're the last one of the Moonlight Pack, and once you're gone, we own the mountain and all of your Pack's territory."

At least they don't know about the boys, but they are about to. Making a split-second decision between staying to fight and running for backup, I chose to run.

Spinning around on my heels, as fast as my body will let me, I take off for the camp. The wolves are directly on my heels; I can hear the pounding of their footsteps and every once and a while, I feel a small nip at the edge of my tail.

I make it to the field across from the, finally in reach to contact the boys through the mind-link. 

"Boys! I'm outside, and I need backup, now! Two rogue wolves are after me." I shout into the mind link, and without noticing, I slightly slow down. The rogue tackles me from behind, sending us both tumbling to the ground. They both pounce at me, digging their sharp teeth into the flesh around my back, my pristine white fur being stained into a crimson red. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I see the boys running out of the house, looking around frantically until their eyes land on me. Now, I just have to stall until they get here. I begin to thrash in my spot on the ground. 

I manage to clip one of the wolves with my back paws, leaving scratch marks across his hip. I turn my head towards the other rogue, clamping my teeth around one of his legs. I hear him yelp and start thrashing, but I only tighten my hold.

Eventually, the boys make it to us. By now, I have very large cuts and bite-marks on my ribs and back. Fading into darkness, I see Niall's wolf crouched in front of me as the rest of them fight off the wolves.