8: Friends

Alfie was up until midnight playing with Elsie, they were best friends straight away.

That night I had left the bedroom door open and all I could hear was Alfie frantically shouting, "Get the ball! Go on, go on, get the ball!"

Alfie locked Elsie in her cage and came to bed.

He wasn't up until 9:30 the next morning, and I had been out shopping for groceries as all our friends were coming over for dinner tonight and we were going to tell them about the baby.

"Morning little ones." Alfie said as he strolled into the kitchen.

He then knelt down and let Elsie lick his face.

I popped my toast crusts into Elsie's food bowl and freshened the water in her water bowl.

"Morning Alfie." I said, before he wrapped his arms around me for a good morning hug.

"Excited about tonight?" Alfie asked me.

"Very. I hope their all as supportive as our families were." I told him.

"I'm sure they will be." He replied.

I waddled over to the couch and sat and watched Good Morning Britain with my cereal laying on my bump, which wasn't very big yet.

When I had finished my cereal I let Elsie lick the leftover milk out the bowl and then she jamp onto the sofa and lay across my knee.

I then remembered when out shopping for groceries I had seen a pink sparkly collar for Elsie.

Once I had went to get it out the plastic shopping bag, it was a perfect fit and she didn't seem to find it uncomfortable.

None of our friends knew about Elsie yet either.

I knew it would be a very surprising evening for them.

_________________

The lasagne had just came out the oven and the chips had 30 seconds to go in the microwave.

Elsie was gnawing at her dinner. I think she hasn't realised there are no siblings that she has to fight against to eat her food.

Alfie was napping on the sofa as he'd been up so late playing with Elsie.

Then there was a knock at the door.

Luckily, Elsie didn't bark so she'd still be a surprise and I was already wearing my jumper so my bump couldn't be seen.

This woke Alfie up and he then got the plates and starting laying the knifes and forks on the table.

I left the lasagne cooling on the kitchen counter and went to answer the door.

First to arrive was Tanya and Jim and as I opened the door Louise made an appearance.

"Hello Guys!" I exclaimed to them all.

"Hello Chummy!" Louise called to me before wrapping her arms around me.

I invited them inside and they all had a warm welcome from Elsie.

"Is she yours?" Tanya asked us.

Alfie was first to reply, "Yeah, Zoe got her for me last night."

"She's adorable!" Jim said as he dodged his face from her tongue.

Then Marcus and Niomi came to the door.

Marcus' reaction was priceless when he layed his eyes on Elsie. He went onto his knees and began to play with her.

"What's her name?" Niomi asked me.

"Elsie." I replied.

She then got onto one knee and let Elsie nibble her fingers.

Caspar and Joe were last to arrive.

Caspar's face lit up when he met Elsie.

Elsie must of liked him a lot too, she jumped into the air and he caught her.

"Since when have you had a dog?" Joe asked, a little startled.

"Yesterday." Alfie told him.

I shut the door behind the boys and told them to take a seat at the dining room table.

"Something smells good." Jim said before everyone began nodding their heads in agreement.

I cut the lasagne into squares and placed a piece on everyone's plate.

I then took the chips and put them equally onto the china.

Alfie helped me pass the plates to everyone as I got the ketchup, salt and vinegar and put them in the middle of the table.

Everyone began to dig in.

"So um, me and Zoe have something to tell you all." Alfie announced.

I could see smirks coming across Joe and Caspar's faces.

"What is it?" Louise asked.

"Whatever it his we shall all be supportive." Marcus told us and everyone nodded there heads in agreement.

This took most of the weight off my shoulders.

I glanced over to Alfie and he smiled at me and nodded, he was signalling me to tell them.

I took a deep breathe and let loose.

I lifted my jumper off so my pink tank top and bump was on show.

I could hear gasps of excitement around the room.

"I'm pregnant." I told them.