XXIX

Janiyah P.O.V

"Wait. I thought he was dead." I grabbed the cup of juice I poured before sitting down in my seat again. I took a couple sips as I tried to understand what was going on.

"I did too." Mama Rica sighed.

"This is crazy." Kiera sat back in her seat with her arms folded.

"That's what I was told when Trevan was about five or six. Now all of a sudden eighteen years later the police are telling me he's very much alive. Not only that but he's wanted in different states for drug trafficking and attempt murder."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. All I could think of was what could be Trevan's reaction to all of this. He was one of those people that didn't like being thrown off. So much that he didn't even like surprises. He wanted to be in control of everything to make sure things went exactly as they should. I knew that this would throw him off completely.

"Trevan's father has never been in the picture. We weren't exactly a couple to begin with so I didn't expect him to be. When Tre was an infant he would send me money to help take care of him. A couple months after he turned one it stopped, and I got a message from a relative of his saying he was dead." She shrugged her shoulders. Her eyes were focused on the table as she spoke, so I knew that she was still trying to process everything.

We all looked towards the door as we heard it twist and turn. It couldn't open because Mama Rica had just locked it.

"Mama!" We beard Trevan's voice yell through the door.

"Mama!" Ayden's voice screamed directly after. I giggled to myself as I got up.

"Now why are you two yelling?" I opened the door. Trevan entered with Ayden and I then realize how many people were behind him. Mariah was holding Karma on her hip and her brother Mario held many Walmart bags in his hands.

"Where my cousin?" I asked referring to Trey.

"He still gettin' bags out the car." Mario huffed, placing the bags he had down onto the kitchen table. "Damn Auntie you bought the whole store."

"I ain't been able to go grocery shopping. I hope y'all got everything I asked for."

Trevan walked over to the seat I was sitting in and sat down with Ayden in his lap. I made my way to both of them and gave Ayden a kiss on his cheek.

"You had fun with yo' Dada?" I asked him as if he could respond.

"Why the door was locked ma?" He asked. The room grew quiet and I immediately tried busying myself with something. I started taking the groceries out the bags and putting them where they belonged.

"Um, I saw this video on Facebook that had me kinda paranoid." She laughed nervously. I could see Trevan looking at her a little weirdly out of the corner of my eye.

"You know you ain't gotta be paranoid mama. Somebody gone get fucked up messing with you." He assured her.

"Boy watch yo' mouth." She gave him a stern look.

"My bad but you know what I'm saying."

Ayden begin whining making me look up in his direction. I could see him reaching for the box of chocolate mini muffins on the table.

"Nah Dada you gotta wait." Trevan grabbed him and stood up.

"What he eat?" I asked him.

"He had a little bit of my chicken sandwich earlier and some fries but he ain't really want it."

"I'm 'bout to make these tacos Niyah. Y'all staying?" Mama Rica asked as she begin to take out pots and pans.

"Yeah thats fine."