Chapter Two

As he left the apartment, he took in the strange cavern and buildings the people made. It was an underground city and their home. He paused and stared blankly for a moment. Home. This wasn't home. He stood there for a long time as he tried to think about his really one. His thoughts drifted and he shook his head then walked off again towards his destination. He eventually found the hospital and saw some people were struggling to help, but wanting to. They were short staffed. 

"Hello, how can I help you?" A nurse asked as she walked over and smiled a little. She looked tired and the dark circles helped prove that. The stress of the situation taking a toll on everyone.

Ratchet smiled faintly. "I'm a Doctor, I came to see if you need help." He said gently as he looked around before glancing at her finally. She sighed in relief and nodded as she buried her face in her hands.

"Thank you..." she whispered quietly and looked up at him, relief evident in her eyes. She quickly showed him what to do and how to help them. The old man nodded, taking a clipboard with patients names on it. He listened intently as he followed her around. He grabbed a coat as they passed by a rack and put it on.

"What is your name?" The man asked as he adjusted the coat and made sure it was to his liking. He had handed her the clipboard as he put the coat on.

"Me? Oh I'm Robin." She whispered quietly and looked at him then back down at the list, staring at the names as she thought. Ratchet nodded and looked at her.

"Nice to meet you Robin." He muttered and looked at her, slowly frowning. She handed him the clipboard back and looked at him. "Are you alright?" He asked as he tucked the clipboard by his side.

"I'm just worried...." she whispered quietly. "That things won't work out... that we won't actually be able to go home..." she whispered. "Yet... this is home... we don't have anything on the surface... not anymore..." she rasped.

Ratchet stopped walking and frowned. "Everything will work out with time, Robin. More people come here all the time I assume?"

"I think so...." she whispered quietly and looked down. "I... I'm... I mean... yes...." she said and rubbed her face.

Ratchet hesitated then set a hand on her shoulder. "Then it means this is building. More people will be here to look after each other." He reassured. "Its going to be alright, Robin." 

She nodded slowly and looked down at the floor. "I... hope so..." she whispered quietly. "I... never mind... let's just work on this..." she muttered. Ratchet nodded faintly and handed the clipboard to her.

"Here, you should hold onto this." He murmured, twirling the ring on his left hand as he walked down the hall again. She watched him go, feeling a little lost and sighed forcefully. She looked at it then went off to go do something. She fiddled with a necklace she had on, Ratchet had noticed it before but only briefly.  Ratchet thought about the nurse quietly, a bit worried for her. He sighed heavily and glanced at his wedding band.

"Oh June.." he murmured to himself before going to one of the staffed rooms. He went and saw a few doctors and nurses, going to them quietly. "Do any of you know a man by the name of Optimus?" He asked. They looked at him then around before looking at the clipboards in their hands. They shook their heads a bit as they looked down.

"Sorry sir.... we've lost a lot of people... but we'll keep looking for you..." one man whispered quietly and looked at him. Ratchet nodded, frowning a bit with concern. He began walking over and to the man.

"May I make a copy of this list of patients and workers? I'm Doctor Darby." He greeted.

"Yes of course... Darby?" The doctor said as he looked at him and his eyes widened in surprise. "Doctor Darby..." he whispered and glanced to the others.