Chapter Five

Raf stared blankly at the screen then sighed and gripped his hair. He squeezed his eyes shut as he tried to focus. Life down here was rough and not having the bots to protect them made life worse. He missed them and wished they'd come back. Because of the Decepticons reign of terror, anyone associated with the Cybertronians was considered an enemy. They were taken by the army and questioned. The young man made sure not to say anything when people were around.

A man walked into the room and frowned a bit. "Hey Raf." He said gently as he walked over. "You doing okay?"

"No..." he mumbled without looking up at him. "I'm not okay... but I'll work on it..." he whispered quietly. 

The man went to his side and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Its going to be alright, Raf. We're here to help you." The name tag ready, Perceptor, mainly called Percy. The young scientist rested his forehead in his hands as he squeezed his eyes shut. He sighed shakily and took his glasses off and rubbed his eyes.

"I'm trying... I'm trying to do so much... but I'm too tired." Raf mumbled. No one knew how much he was trying to reach his friends. His team. He knew they were still alive, they had to be.

"Let me take some of the work. You don't need to overwhelm yourself like this." The man frowned, squeezing his shoulder in reassurance. "What can I help you with?"

"I don't honestly know, Percy..." he whispered quietly and stood as he looked at him. "I'm just... I'm..." he buried his face in his hands again. He sighed forcefully as he stood then walked off to work on the cure. "I need to get this done..."

Percy followed him worriedly. "Hey, Raf, take a breath. You're stressing yourself." He frowned. "When was the last time you ate with your family or rested for that matter?" He asked gently, his blue eyes searching over Rafs expression.

The man looked at him and shook his head. "I don't have the time, Percy... I have to find a cure and..." he looked at the floor. "I just have too much to do and my family is too busy as well." He mumbled and went back to his notes.

Percy sighed heavily. "Then let me help you. I'll take over while you rest." He tried to reason, following him around the room, his eyes filled with worry.

"Thank you Percy... but I need to do this..." he muttered as he continued to work. "When the people aren't dying... I'll stop... I've already lost..." he choked a little and shook his head. "I've already lost all my friends... and my family... I can't lose anyone else." he muttered.

Percy sighed softly, his expression falling. "You're not alone in this, Raf. You don't need to make this a solo project.'' he muttered. 

Rafael stopped and stared blankly at the desk and his work. "That's... not... what I meant..." he mumbled and handed him a few things. Silently asking for help. Percy smiled a bit, glad he got through to the man. He took them and sat at his desk, helping him quietly. 

Rafael didn't say anything as he worked for a while. He sighed shakily and hung his head. He thought of his friends and fought back tears. "Focus Raf... focus..." he whispered quietly and fixed his glasses again.

Percy glanced at him, frowning deeply at the fragile man. He hesitantly reached out and set a hand on his shoulder. "Hey, take a breath." 

He looked at him then nodded sadly before he rubbed his face and smiled a little. "Thanks..." he whispered quietly and went off somewhere. The other man frowned deeply and sighed, going back to work as he shook his head. He felt bad for the man. 

As Percy worked he stumbled across a notebook. A small corner was peaking out from under a few pages. The notebook journal was very old. He blinked, resisting to look. He turned to see if Raf was around before looking back at it. He hesitated for a long moment, debating but he soon grabbed it for the curiosity. He saw it was an old picture of Raf, Jack, Miko and what looked like a robot. Two blue glowing optics were behind the three happy children. Bumblebee. 

Percy's eyes widened and he blinked, gently folding the picture and tucking it into his lab pocket as well as the notebook. He began leaving the office hurriedly, running to the printer to make copies. He was worried the other man would catch him before he finished his task.

Rafael wasn't in the lab at all. He was on his way to his apartment. He entered the home and gently closed the door. "Quinn?" He asked tiredly and looked around. He heard running and the little girl came in.

"Hi daddy!" She squealed and jumped in his arms. He chuckled softly and hugged her close then kissed her head.

"Hello sweetie... how's mommy?" He asked gently. She smiled and giggled as he walked to the bedroom. His wife was laying in bed connected to multiple machines. She was thin and frail but thankfully awake. She had a book next to her from the child reading to her.

"Hello Sari..." he whispered quietly and smiled sadly as he kissed her forehead, looking over her for a moment with worry.

Sari's eyes slowly and weakly opened. Her lips twitched as she struggled to find energy to just smile. "Hi love.." she rasped, her voice breathy as she gave effort to just talk. Her eyes fluttered shut, breathing slow. She wanted to say more but couldn't. She felt so tired. After a few moments she coughed violently. "Work?" She mumbled once she was done, asking how work went.

"Don't worry about that..." he whispered quietly and set the child down. He sat by his wife and gently fixed the oxygen tube that was across her nose. "Well... I mean it was okay...." he mumbled not wanting her to strain herself. "How are you?" He whispered as he gently brushed some hair out of her face. 

Sari leaned her head against the neck pillow quietly, the only thing keeping her head up. "Tired." She whispered, her eyes soon opening to look at him. "Worse." She added honestly, frowning. She didn't want to worry him, but at this point she couldn't lie. It was dangerous to. "Quinn... sweetheart... read for.... for me." She spoke slowly.  Her daughter nodded and got on the bed then started reading again. Happy to be able to read to her mother and knowing it would make her all better again.

Raf stared at his wife as tears filled his eyes and slowly fell. He gently gripped her hand and kissed the back of it. He kept her cold hand against his lips as his tears fell. He listened to his daughter read, who was oblivious to the situation.