Chapter Thirteen

A week went by and he always woke up to this reality, in the mental hospital, but it felt like an eternity to him. Sam was his only friend, though he never spoke and Pete always laughed at him with a few others. Ratchet couldn't feel anything anymore and he was just an empty shell. The doctor was silent most of the time now, staying close to Sam as they went to the garden a lot as they both enjoyed the area. It was a constant routine filled with no meaning. Ratchet stared at a flower quietly as he sat in the grass, barely speaking a word anymore.

Sam stared at the grass then at him for a moment as he thought about what the man went through. Ratchet had been watched closely for a while but now they left him alone, figuring he wasn't any harm to them. The younger silent man stared at his hands then looked at the old man again before gently gripping his arm with concern.

Ratchet didn't react right away, simply staring before looking to Sam. He studied him for a moment before looking to the hand on his arm quietly. "What?" He asked after a long moment, he then looked back up at him. Every movement slow.

The other man watched him with concern again then glanced over to the wall that kept them there. A lot of times the place kept them here for only a few months, but he had been here longer. Sam looked at him again then picked a flower and held it out to him. He carefully took his hand and faced his palm up to the sky. "Things... are not... as they seem..." he whispered and set it in his hand. Speaking for the first time to the old man.

Ratchet looked at him blankly, struggling to understand. He slowly looked down at the flower in his hand then looked up at the sky. "Fake." He muttered as he began trying to get up, having very little energy. He trembled a bit and looked to the wall. He then looked at Sam. "Why... why are you here?"

"Go inside." Sam said as he stood and helped him up. He held on to his arm firmly, yet gently and led him inside the building. "Wait here." he whispered and helped him sit in the main room. He glanced around then crouched by him and furrowed his brow. "Things aren't as they seem." he muttered again then carefully stood and walked out of the room. Leaving the man there for a moment.

Ratchet frowned deeper, not understanding as he sat down. He stayed sitting as he watched the man go before looking down at the flower in his hand. "What...?" He murmured in confusion. He stared at the flower, blinking as he didn't know what the man meant.

Sam had disappeared somewhere and didn't come back, leaving him there for a half hour. The other patients were playing games or just doing something. He was still staring at the flower when he heard someone enter. "Grandad?" he looked up to see Skye. She choked back a sob and covered her mouth as tears fell down her face.

Ratchet looked up and his eyes widened. "Skye?" He gasped, standing up quickly, gripping the flower. "W-what... how did you get in here?" He whispered as he hurried over to her, gently raising his hand to set on her cheek. He wasn't sure if she was real.

She rushed forward seeing as he was weak and struggling a little to walk. He seemed to be in a daze and he remembered she was dead. That's what they told him. She hugged him tightly and buried her face in him as she sobbed. "I lost you... I'm so sorry... I lost you..." She choked and he noticed she was smaller as if she had lost weight. He could feel her bones a little but not horribly.

The old man looked down at her, frowning deeply. "I... don't understand. You're dead... how are you here? What's with you?'' He muttered at her weight. He looked at her worriedly, stroking her hair. He didn't care much if it was a hallucination. He just wanted to see his family. At least for a little.

"What?" She asked as she looked at him and her eyes widened in surprise. "Grandad... I'm not dead... I'm right here. I'm real... I went to the surface and left you at the hospital to get some rest... when I came back you were gone... no one knew where you were... I've been looking for you for two weeks." She choked. He could tell she had hardly slept either. But he didn't care, his emotions and feelings were locked away because of the medication. She gripped his face between her hands to try and let him know she was real.