Chapter Twenty Eight

The next morning he heard whispering in the other room and saw his door was open a little. He could smell breakfast and heard Quinn giggling. Raf shushed her gently as he whispered. The old man rolled onto his back, sleeping hard enough to have stayed in the same position throughout the night. He rubbed his eyes, groaning softly as his senses began working and his face felt tired. He began slowly sitting up with a grunt, feeling like he was limp. He looked to the door and began getting out of the bed, his shoulders and wrists popping as he pushed himself and standing straight. Ratchet stepped out of the room, his socks sliding a bit as he walked down the hall and to the kitchen, wanting to see if his family came at all.

He got to the living room and saw Rafael and his daughters in the kitchen making breakfast. Riley looked tired but happy. Quinn was drawing and giggling quietly. He glanced to the couch and froze. Laying on her stomach with her hand hanging off to the floor was Skye. Her other arm was over her head and her shoes were still on. She was covered in mud, dirt, dust, soot and a few sticks were in her hair. She had scratches and bruises all over. She sighed shakily as she continued to sleep.

Ratchet frowned with worry and walked over. He knelt down shakily to her and began carefully taking the sticks and leaves out of her hair. "Rafael, do you know when she got here?" He asked worriedly as he began carefully caring for his granddaughter.

"An hour after you fell asleep. Riley helped her in. She's fine though except for the bruises and scratches." He explained. Skye stirred a little but didn't wake as she smiled in her sleep. 

The doctor nodded a little then turned back to his granddaughter. He took a rag from the kitchen eventually, and began wiping the dirt off her face gently before standing up and leaving to the back room. He soon returned with the first aid and began tending to her scratches quietly. Riley smiled a bit as she watched him. He seemed to enjoy taking care of her.

Rafael was smiling a little as well while he watched. He was glad the doctor had come a long way. That he had opened his spark up to someone. He smiled more and put an arm around his daughter. Skye slowly opened her eyes and stared at the doctor then smiled a little. "Hey... Grandad..." she rasped tiredly. 

The old medic smiled a bit at his granddaughter as he worked on cleaning her up. "Hey Skye." He murmured softly. "Just lay still for me. I'll be done bothering you in a moment... so you can sleep."

The tired young woman smiled a little as she watched him then carefully rolled on her back so he could work better. "Did... you... sleep well?" She asked as she smiled a little more. She glanced at her muddy self and furrowed her brow. "Oh... sorry..." she whispered. 

Ratchet frowned at the scratches he saw on her as he worked. "I slept fine. You should take a shower and clean up and perhaps take a nap." He advised her as he tended to her.

Skye nodded slowly and shakily sat up. "Thanks..." she whispered quietly and hugged him tightly. She was so happy to see him again.

The doctor nodded and hugged her back, smiling a bit. "Of course youngling." He muttered softly. He held her tightly, glad she was back in his sights. 

Riley smiled a little and leaned against him. She closed her eyes tiredly. The young father smiled a little and rested his head against hers. He loved his little girl so much. Riley smiled a bit and hugged him gently, sighing softly as she felt calm. She wished Bumblebee was here though. Rafael smiled a little as he rubbed her head then glanced at her phone as it rang. He furrowed his brow as he stepped back so she could get to it.

She blinked then grabbed her phone as she opened her eyes. She answered it and brought it to her ear. "Hello?"

"Hey Riley! This is Ethan. I went to the train station to check for Skye, but I ended up meeting a group of people looking for your dad. The- hey!" He shouted and they heard talking.